Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2012 17:00

Ac Adapter/ Battery Issue

Hello everyone I have the Alienware M18x which I got a few months ago and there has been 1 issue that has been a slight nuisance, occasionally it will say my ac adapter which came with my alienware is not recognized or non compatible though my computer still recognizes its plugged in and it still charges my computer. However today when I turned on my laptop I get an error screen during boot up which says the ac adapter is non compatible (i usually get the message as a pop up once my computer loads) and furthermore it says the ac adapter will no longer work with my computer. I proceed to accept and continue and when I log on to my user profile the battery icon shows the computer is plugged in with the little plug symbol and simply says fully charged 100% and i also have my computer set so the little power button glows green when plugged in and red when not plugged in and the power button is green. I try to play an online game (team Fortress 2) only to see I have horrible lag which only happens when i try to play when my laptop is not plugged in. I exited the game and unplugged my computer and let the battery percentage fall to 90% and re-plugged in the ac adapter hoping it would say it was charging, instead the second I plugged in the adapter it said fully charged 100%. I have been searching google for answers but have yet to find anything. I have tried restarting my computer, doing a system restore to a few days ago, scanning for viruses, going to device manager and scanning for hardware changes and updates, and uninstalled the ac adapter control in device manager and re-added it (something like that its the second option under the battery category). Anyone know what's going on? Do i need a new ac adapter or would that not fix the problem?

934 Posts

December 10th, 2012 12:00

>If the power adapter is not recognized the system will be slowed down via BIOS software

>Read Dell-Terry B's post

en.community.dell.com/.../19369809.aspx

>most likely power adapter or power jack/mainboard are broken

try a different (Dell compatible !) power adapter first - if possible borrow one otherwise it's a waste of money if

something else causes  the problem

>watch the video

8 Posts

December 11th, 2012 20:00

Thank you for your help MicroTest, however it wasn't that helpful. Here is an update as of day ago.

I rebooted my computer and while it booted up I went into the set-up and tested the battery and ac adapter for issues and i saw the battery was in idle charging state. So I started up the computer and googled idle charging state  and finally found something that talked about a button on the battery that when pushed would make lights appear to show the charge in the battery so i turned off the computer and took out the battery and pushed the button and the lights came on and i put the battery back in restarted the computer and it was working just fine saying plugged in and charging. I just turned my computer on again and despite the fact the computer recognizes the ac adapter is plugged in, it seems to be stuck in idle charging mode again so i tried the trick pressing the button again but it isn't seeming to work this time. So, got any tricks for being stuck in idle charging where the laptop recognizes the adapter but wont charge from it?

934 Posts

December 12th, 2012 05:00

You need to be sure that the power adapter is recognized all the time.A loose power jack(for instance) could cause intermittent problems !

If the power adapter or the power jack (on some laptops the power jack located on a daughterboard)are not the cause of the problem try a different battery and if that doesn't fix the problem it's highly likely the mainboard.

But the fact that the battery sometimes charges indicates some kind of loose connection.....

====================

Since your system and battery is only a couple of months old they should be still under warranty - contact Dell tech support !

May 29th, 2017 06:00

I am Agustin from Argentina, I have an Alienware laptop 17 r4, barely 3 months old and it ran out of battery but when I try to charge it, the charger won't turn blue. And when the charger is not plugged to the laptop, it shows power signs. And the computer ran out of battery so it won't detect it. What should I do?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 29th, 2017 08:00

Contact Dell - you're going to need a warranty repair.

May 29th, 2017 10:00

I do have, who exactly should I contact?

No Events found!