Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

October 27th, 2008 19:00

Acronis True Image 2009 on XPS M1730

Hi,

I am new to the forum and would be grateful for some help.

I would like to know if installing Acronis True Image 2009 on the XPS M1730 laptop that I have on order would clash with the Dell Factory Image Restore (Vista) that I understand the machine ships with.

My main concern is being able to return the machine to its factory settings in case of future problems.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to know if I am okay to install this when the machine is delivered in a few weeks time.

4.6K Posts

October 27th, 2008 19:00

Welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

Nope... it won't have any effect on your ability to use the Dell Recovery (should you want to), since Dell's recovery files are contained in their own seperate partition ;)

7 Posts

October 28th, 2008 06:00

Great, thanks for the reply.

I am intending to create the backup to an external hard drive, presumably this is the best way to go?

4.6K Posts

October 28th, 2008 14:00

Yes indeed ;)

146 Posts

October 28th, 2008 15:00

@cjd141 wrote:

Hi,

I am new to the forum and would be grateful for some help.

I would like to know if installing Acronis True Image 2009 on the XPS M1730 laptop that I have on order would clash with the Dell Factory Image Restore (Vista) that I understand the machine ships with.

My main concern is being able to return the machine to its factory settings in case of future problems.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to know if I am okay to install this when the machine is delivered in a few weeks time.

It actually happens that I am an official beta tester for Acronis and assure you that ATI2009 and the M1730 are ok in fcat I tested in on m1730.. see my pm.

Backup all your partitions keep that image safe.

you can get very creative with ATI i have a brand new install of vista Ultimate sp1 dell media direct and still have the whole lot running well except I have no rubbish bundled software anymore.

7 Posts

October 28th, 2008 18:00

Thanks X3lectric, it seems I could not have found anyone more expert to advise me on this.

Could you offer any advice on which options to use for making a complete backup that would allow me to return the machine to its as shipped configuration, which would be my main purpose for using the package.

I have checked the user guide on the Acronis website but having never used software of this kind before I found it all rather confusing, so any hints for a beginner would be most welcome.

146 Posts

October 28th, 2008 21:00

Well I did say I don't support their software I only get paid to test it.

but on backup my computer you go trough the motions did you see the test video BTW I things it shows some stuff there about it

anyway there's full backup incremental and differential open this new version if you never ran any backup it will do a full backup for you first run,but beware it only back up main drive not all partitions.

So I suggest you don't select the default setting which is incremental (says recommended) bah and select full got next you see a page with all the drives attached internal and external I recommend you place your backup on USB drive (I hate secure zone & messes with the dell partitions)

Anyway just select your drive it should have 1 main check box that once selected selects all partitions auto if not select the partitions yourself you have diagnostics/ main/hidden eisa config/ thats where Dell media direct is

Then next find a backup location  by default they messed with it against my advice and still place backup on the main drive which is a mistake so make sure you place it on external drive, give it a name secure it with password if you want encrypt it if you want (not advised if your going to forget your password) and continue past all the options until the progress starts.

I would advise you to get familiar read the help files of the program before you dive in but its a question of actually reading the options... You can only go wrong if you really can't use software at all. That I doubt.

Ok once backup is done here a nifty little trick you double click on it and you can browse and copy files from that image out (not put in (yet). Make sure you have all partitions in there and after a few trial and error plays it will become like second nature to you.

BTW I suggested the GUI change but they did a great job with icons but the rest is just not as friendly as I would make it.

I have submitted a proposal to redesign their whole GUI with individual/original and highly simplified and usable Acronis look no imitations to any os's... i waiting on reply. Wish me luck ;)

For more advice Acronis have an excellent chat system that works 24/7 their support is excellent an you chatting in less than a minute with a real person. The programs carry adequate help files that explain all procedures like I say get familiar with it...

you have found arguably the best backup software on the net... I have tons of licenses for all the versions on my account... You will soon see why I said that. Good luck. 

man just have  apply and get familiar with all the option and parts there's unfortunately hard to see option instead of having buttons it has a hyperlink type.

Words of wisdom you main and will most likely break dell media direct if you re-install windows for that you need to iser the Dell media direc cd fist selest appropriate option and install windows once that is done reinsert dmd again and install it.

Personally I dont use dmd I use the button to bring up other programs it actually brings up conrol panel for me but you can tweak it to bring up anything you like.

I do however leave the Dell diagnostics partition intact... very usefull piece of software both part 1 and part 2 of diagnostics. Rest is Vista... and a 3d soft erm adobe ofc and a few others I have on my signature. all good.

erm FlashFXP has a new toolbar designs otional to users I redid with Charles the dev... very cool. Im now working with uVNC and working with them on improving all gfx website and program on gfx level and GUI I dont code just design...

Some jobs I did were naf iMO for some other customers but in the end you do what they want after all they paying you. :) enjoy.

Message Edited by X3lectric on 10-28-2008 06:04 PM
No Events found!