Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2016 08:00

Adding extra SSD for dell xps 15 with 256gb SSD

Hi, I just bought a dell xps 15 9550 with 6th gen i7, 8GB RAM and 256gb ssd. Is it possible to add an extra SSD for the remaining 2.5 inches hard disk slot. If it's possible do i need to buy the connecting cable for SSD too or does that cable already included there?

Thanks in advance,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2016 09:00

There's a bracket and a set of rubber bumpers needed to connect a 2.5" drive.  In general, these are not shipped with the system unless it's ordered with a hard drive -- you should remove the base cover to check though -- some reports are that some versions may have shipped with the hardware needed.  If not, they are likely available from Dell Spare Parts and other sources such as EBay and third-party Dell parts suppliers such as parts-people.com.

21 Posts

April 21st, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the post.  

Just one quick question.  I am trying to install a 2.5" Samsung Evo 850.  Do I need to install another device driver to get the BIOS recognized the SSD?  My BIOS version is 1.1.19.  After the installation, Windows 10 can access the SSD on and off, and I cannot see it from the BIOS unlike the original PCIE SSD that came with XPS 15.  Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 21st, 2016 14:00

Make sure you have SATA 1 and SATA 2 turned on in the BIOS.

21 Posts

April 21st, 2016 20:00

Thanks.  There are SATA-0 and SATA-1.  I found out that my 2.5" Evo 850 was connected to SATA-1.  The BIOS says SATA-0 has none. 

I see from BIOS that I can password protect HDD, and it says HDD-1 is protected.  The Intel Raid Storage Technology shows only the Evo 850 and shows that it is password protected.  I am wondering if the original M.2 PCIe SSD is also password protected.  However, I do not know if it is protected since it does not show the PCIe SSD.  On the BIOS, it says HDD-1 is protected.  What does HDD-1 refer to?  In this case, it definitely includes the new Evo 850, but I do not have a clue whether it also includes the original PCIe SSD.

Also how is this HDD password protection different from the Admin password protection option?  If I set the Admin password, does it protect all hard drive in the laptop?  If a laptop is lost, obviously the data on the hard drive are the most important things to protect.  

I read the short descriptions for those options in the BIOS, I don't think it gives enough information.  I cannot find a manual for the BIOS, either.  If anyone knows, please advise.  Thanks again.

2 Posts

April 20th, 2017 09:00

Hi !  I got the evo 850 ssd and XDYGX cable, I have not install it yet.  Please kindly advise if i just plug in the SSD to xps15-9550 as a data disk, will the UEFI (bios) recoginze the SSD, and perhaps initialize it as GPT?  Will the bios recognize both the pcie and ssd as one C drive, or 2 individual drives? Joosujin's post  sound like the bio only recognize only one drive, and unsure hdd password applied to evo 850, whether similiar hdd password can be appy to the pcie?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 20th, 2017 11:00

The system setup will recognize it, but it'll need to be partitioned and formatted before Windows can see and use it.

It will show up as a separate drive from your main C: drive.

No Events found!