Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2017 06:00

Adjust Keyboard Backlight Timeout

I have a new Precision 5520 and the keyboard backlight turns off about 10 seconds after the last keystroke.

How can I set it to stay on longer?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 1st, 2017 11:00

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system....

Please type Windows Mobility Center onto [Cortana]search box, and look for Keyboard backlight, see image below:

4 Posts

June 1st, 2017 13:00

Yes, I am on Windows 10 Pro (Creators Update).

I don't have Keyboard Backlighting in my Mobility Options panel. In fact, the whole “Customized by Dell” section is not there.

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 04:00

Yes, I am running Windows 10 Pro (Creators Update, Version 1703, Build 15063.332)

Unfortunately, my Mobility Options Center does not have the Keyboard Backlighting tile.

In fact, the entire "Customized by Dell Inc." section is missing.

Screenshot of the complete Mobility Options Center (nothing is cropped):

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 07:00

Please try some of the troubleshooting steps in the link below. It isn't the same computer (XPS 9500) but it might work for you as well.

XPS 15 9550 Keyboard Backlight Timeout

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 08:00

I got the same advice from Dell support and installing the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack (DEFP) did allow me to change the backlight timeout.

I was hoping there was a more elegant solution. I was hoping there was an acutal fix from Dell. I shouldn't have to install some ancient app to access fairly basic functionality of my $4000 laptop.

It is also frustrating that there are so many versions of DEFP floating around, with no indication of which one is really best.

Note:

After adjusting the timeout with DEFP, I uninstalled DEFP, and the new timeout setting remains in effect.

No Events found!