Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 12th, 2010 05:00

Alienware m11x R2 3DS Max, Maya, viewport problem, overall poor performance

I would like to ask you guys, if you were tested your m11x R2 for 3ds max. I would say, im pretty disapointed so far, because it freezes all the time. I bought this laptop especialy for occasional modeling a little rendering on the road. I was fascinated with that portability/power ratio. 

No matter which renderer i use for viewport (Direct3D or OpenGL), no matter which driver i install for nvidia gt335m, still poor. I have absolutely new, out of the box
m11x R2 i7
8GB RAM
640GB HDD
Win 7 Ultimate
now connected to 24" HP LP2475w

Iv'e installed and tested 3DS Max 2011 and MAYA 2011

I tried default DELL's 257.30 driver, then newwest 260.99 from nvidia site, and also 265.90 (comunity built driver with punkbuster fix). I also installed newwest Directx11. 

I didn't make any OC and on 3Dmark06 i only get 6012 points and WEI index also isn't well. (attached image)

I know that this graphic card isn't from quadro faimily, or that i should buy laptop with professional graphic card for this kind of work, BUT 1GB GPU with that parameters and DirectX 10.1 support shoud kick 3dsmax's , not freezing while im rotating simple cube in scene.

Im starting to think i have bad chip or something. What more, not even one game is running that fast as i saw on youtube reviews. 

For example Need for speed: Hot Pursuit 2010 on 1336x768 and highest settings isn't fast at all, lagging and slowing down around every turn, or car collision - especially night scenes with wet road. 
Is that normal ? What experiences do have you ? 

Let me know your opinions, before i will restore factory settings or contact DELL support.

8 Posts

December 12th, 2010 06:00

Yea, i ran 3DS MAX and MAYA on muuuuch weaker machines. I remember that i ran maya and whole interface on integrated Intel GMA 950 about 3 years ago.  I dont expect that i will have workstation, but this config should satisfy me enough. For better understanding, not the configuration is problem, but that the machine fail to satisfy basic expectations - 3d mark 06 - 6012 points is adequate to m11x R1... definitively not R2 - people used to get 6800-7000 without overclocking on R2 (checked on 3dmark page). Probably something is wrong with this particular piece, just want to compare with others, if they can do modeling and basic operations in 3ds max viewport without problems.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2010 06:00

Your expectations are out of line with the reality of the system.  You're looking for workstation-class performance on a glorified netbook computer - you're just not going to find it.

The CPU is an ultra-low voltage, low power unit - not a performance CPU.  That's probably as much an issue as anything (no, it can't be upgraded).  The video subsystem is fast by netbook standards, but it's not a performance video chip.

Bottom line:  just as  you don't buy a Honda CIvic to tow a 5,000 pound trailer, you can't expect a lightweight ultraportable to run heavy duty apps.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2010 07:00

Again, it depends on the CPU as much as the GPU - the CPU in the M11x is a slow, energy-conserving unit.  It's not a performance CPU in the least.

1 Message

December 24th, 2010 09:00

I'm sorry to say, especially since you've spent so much money, but the M11x really isn't meant for this kind of work.

I spent MONTHS obsessing over this machine, wanting to do the same thing that you bought it for, but I eventually realised that it wouldn't be suitable for the job. The reason why is because the main component within the computer that's used for programs such as max and maya is the processor. You could have a laptop with an i3 (full power, not low voltage) processor and integrated graphics and it would run a lot better than on an M11x.

The M11x is purely meant for games, and as many of todays latest games focus on using the GPU, Dell have downsized the processor to increase battery life and reduce the amount of heat the machine gives off.

Just looking at the minimum specs for 3ds max 2011 it says that the slowest processor it'll take is a pentium 4, of which the lowest clock speed is 1.3, and the i7 in your machine is 1.2. Perhaps you could try overlclocking your processor? It might yield better results :)

If you're still able to return the machine then I would suggest other small machines that have better processors built into them. If you have a lot of money then I'd suggest the Sony Vaio Z, but if not then I'd try something like the Asus U30JC or U33JC 

Good luck!

No Events found!