Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2016 13:00

Amber and White light blinking. What is the meaning of that signal?

Hi friends, I'm using Dell Studio 1558 and recently bought an original battery online and I dont know the authenticity of that battery. Also before changing the battery, I had a hard disk crash and changed a new hard disk.

Now at times, I'm getting amber and white light flashing. Its getting corrected if I restart the system.

Can anyone let me know the meaning of this flashing amber and white lighting?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 4th, 2016 12:00

" recently bought an original battery online and I dont know the authenticity of that battery "

It's a possibility the flashing amber/white light means battery is low and isn't being charge. I like to suggest you check the status of the battery and AC adapter in the BIOS.

1. Power off computer, and then make sure AC adapter is connected to computer well

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping the F2 key continuously, you should be in the BIOS screen.

Under the main screen, look for the AC adapter type. If the adapter says None or Unknown then it's an issue with the adapter. Suggest you replace AC adapter.

Under the Advanced screen, look for Battery Health, it should say "This Battery Is Performing Normally". If there's any other message, it could mean that the battery is faulty and needs replacement.

Need further assistance? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away. 

Note: If you indeed need replacement, please get a new genuine Dell battery that comparable with your system.

Studio 1558 Setup Guide - Page 88

(edited)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 4th, 2016 12:00

A very similar problem in the link below.....:emotion-2:

Studio Laptop 1558 Power light flashes Orange then White:

en.community.dell.com/.../19475018

June 4th, 2016 23:00

That link discusses about same light signal but for not working laptop. But mine is working as of now. So I like to make sure that I won't harm my laptop don't go faulty in near future.

June 4th, 2016 23:00

Thanks for your reply. I'll check these info at BIOS and will post it here.

June 6th, 2016 00:00

In BIOS screen, I can see the adapter Type as - 90 W

in advanced settings at BIOS, There is no BATTERY HEALTH information. :(

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 6th, 2016 08:00

:emotion-2:

My apologies, I meant to say look under the Advanced tab, and then stroll down to Battery Health.

You can also check status of the battery on the Battery Meter app. Please right-click the battery icon in the lower right-hand corner of the taskbar, and then click Dell Extended Battery Life Options.

Question: What version of windows is on the system? Windows 10, windows 7 ?

June 6th, 2016 09:00

Friend, Thanks for your detailed information. I cant find the battery details in BIOS even scrolling down. Also I dont have Battery Meter software at task bar. As I said, I recently changed the hard disk and the OS was re-installed. I think many drivers are not updated yet.

Pls let me know where I can download the Battery Meter software?

June 6th, 2016 09:00

The OS is windows 7, 64 bit.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 6th, 2016 11:00

Please enter your service tag number (or use Auto- Detect Your Product) in the link below. After you enter tag number, click on Application, and then Dell Quickset.

www.dell.com/.../

June 6th, 2016 23:00

Today again the flashing with orange and white came! Its flashing even after removing the power adapter. It stops if I restart the laptop.

June 6th, 2016 23:00

I did the Quick Test under Diagnostics.

Its showing as Result: Passed

But the Quick test tested CPU, Memory, DVD Drive and hard drive only.

After this I tested Battery and Mother board by selecting those tests specifically and the results are as above.

Now these two days I did not get the Orange and White blinking. I'm getting it at times but would like to know the reason and potential danger about it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 08:00

Does removing the battery stop the flashing?

June 7th, 2016 08:00

Should I remove the battery while connecting to the Power Adapter and when the windows running? IF YES, I'll check next time and I'll post the result here ASAP.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 7th, 2016 14:00

Power off computer, remove battery, connect AC adapter,and then power on system again. Please observe any blinking lights.

If the blinking lights are still there, power off the system again, remove AC adapter. Press and hold down the power button for 20 seconds to drain any excess static power. Replace battery, connect adapter, and then power on system. Hopefully, there aren't any flashing lights.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 7th, 2016 15:00

You can also update the System Setup(BIOS) and chipset driver from the link below.

www.dell.com/.../drivers

No Events found!