Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

September 25th, 2008 11:00

Another Beer Spill...

Hi

Last night, I spilled about 1/4 of a glass of beer on my boyfriend's brand new Inspirion laptop (only one week old!).  I turned it off immediately, dabbed up the liquid on the keyboard and left it open overnight to dry.  This morning, it worked fine to turn on, but some of the keys are sticking or do not work at all.  Otherwise, it seems to be fine.  What are my options?  I believe he has the standard Dell warranty, but doubt it will cover this.  Any suggestions on whether I should try to clean the keyboard, or send it out for service to get a new keyboard?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 25th, 2008 11:00

You don't need to send it anywhere to replace the keyboard, which you should do (at minimum, REMOVE the keyboard to be sure no liquid is underneath).  It's a 10-minute job.

You can order a keyboard and replace it - no, the warranty will not cover it.  What model do you have?

2 Posts

September 25th, 2008 13:00

Thank you for the response.  That's a little reassuring.  I only hope it is just the keyboard.

It is an Inspirion 1525.  Does Dell sell the replacement keyboard or do I need to go to a wholesaler or something?  Does it come with instructions?  How would I even remove the keyboard?

Obviously, I'm a bit unsure when it comes to technical stuff.  Thanks for your help!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 25th, 2008 13:00

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4700&prevaction=search&previd=&prevstart=0

Here's how you replace it:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/SM/keyboard.htm#wp1180346

262 Posts

September 26th, 2008 14:00

You don't have to replace the keyboard.

Get a water bottle with a spray nozzle, fine setting, and toothbrush, and an absorbent towel (do not use a paper towel).

Remove the AC adapter and the battery, remove the keyboard. This can be done without removing the keyboard but you risk dropping the unit while you do this.

With the nozzle on fine you won't be able to get water in the places water shouldn't go, if you use pure water or distilled water you shouldn't have any residue when it dries. Spritz the keyboard where it sticks and scrub it with the tooth brush at an angle where it is able to penetrate between the keys. Continue to do this until it is no longer sticky. If you do not have a hand held water sprayer you can dip the toothbrush in water or rubbing alcohol to clean the keyboard.

I have repaired many beer spills (beercedents) and even complete submersion of electronics in chlorinated water. You did the right thing with turning it off immediately, but for future reference, turn it upside down and remove the battery while letting it sit that way for a moment then start the cleaning process. Beer also contains salts and sugars which will conduct electricity so it is very advisable to clean it thoroughly and immediately. Also, let it dry for 24 hours before you use it again.

950 Posts

October 1st, 2008 00:00

A friend did the same thing. He took out the keyboard soaked it in warm water let it dry out for 5 days and it worked. In case you don't want to buy new one right off.

Once again lesson here NO LIQUIDS NEAR LAPTOPS.

No Events found!