Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2012 06:00

Any advice on Dell Vostro 3750 repair

Hi All,

My partner managed to liberally slop her cup of tea into her Dell Vostro 3750. Having dried it out thoroughly, other than the keyboard being stuffed (I can replace this easy enough) it has a strange fault that I'm hoping some one here can just say, "Ahh – you need to reset the blah, blah."

The behaviour is as follows:

1) With the battery in and AC connected, the laptop will not power on when the power button is pressed.
2) If I take the battery out, it still won't power on.
3) If I disconnect the AC (still with the battery removed) and plug it back in, it automatically powers up without my pressing the power button. The battery must be removed for it to power up.
4) Once it powers up, it launches Dell's diagnostic tool (rather than boot to Windows), which if let run report no faults.
5) After exiting the diagnostic tool, the laptop boots to Windows normally and seems to operate perfectly. The battery is reported as charged and everything looks good.
6) If I try to shutdown the computer, it restarts rather than powering down. However, if I press the power button at the POST screen then the laptop powers off.

The cup of tea was slopped on the left hand side near the power button, so it is possible that this is a physical problem with the power button or electronics around that part of the machine.

Anyone seen behaviour like this before? Any idea on what to try?

Regarding a replacement keyboard - I am in Australia and can not see this part on Dell's website.  I found it on dell.com, but they don't post to Australia.  Anyone know reputable reseller?  Or should I phone Dell locally?

Cheers,

Dan

1.1K Posts

October 31st, 2012 07:00

Hi Dan,

This may be an issue with the power button assembly on the system. Also, the motherboard could have been affected by the spillage.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2012 07:00

Hi Vikram,

I have accepted the friend request.

Just a little more information on the problem.  After letting it dry over night (tipped on its side to help drain any liquid) I removed the keyboard and there was a little moisture on the motherboard on the far left.  This is right where the power button connects to the motherboard.

I disconnected the power button and the behaviour remains the same - it turns on automatically when the AC is connected with the battery removed and will not switch off when asked to shut down from Windows.  I think this indicates that the fault is going to be on the motherboard and that the switch itself may be ok.

The laptop is out of warranty by a couple of months.  I will supply details to you in a private message as requested.

Cheers,

Dan

1.1K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 23:00

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the private message. It appears to be an issue with the motherboard and you may consider replacing it.

Please reply for any clarifications.

No Events found!