Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2016 10:00

Attaching a new Dell monitor to an older Dell laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.  Recently, I bought a Dell Ultrasharp monitor U2412M to attach to my laptop to have an ergonomic home office.   My knowledge of computers/hardware is pretty... rudimentary.  

24"
1920 x 1200
Nice adjustable stand
1x DVI-D port, 1x display port, 1x VGA port, 1x USB 2.0 upstream port, 4x USB downstream ports

I use my computer for writing documents, internet surfing, and rarely for watching tv.  Eventually, I will buy a lighter and newer laptop, but probably not for a year or two.

I think I bought the wrong monitor....  I was hoping to buy something to use now, that will last, and that will work with any future laptop I buy.

My monitor just arrived.  I connected it to my laptop with the VGA cable (my laptop doesn't have DPI or HDMI input).  It worked, but the picture didn't look.... very good.  

It is my understanding that VGA connections are the worst quality.  Can I use an ?adapter to connect to the VGA cable to access the DVI-D port on the monitor?  Or is this the best I can get?  I'm not even sure what ?video cards are, or whether I need one of these.  

I also looked up the specs on my old laptop and it says the specs of my laptop screen are 

1366 x 768 pixel

So is this the limit of what an attached monitor can be?  

Any input appreciated.  Thanks.

2K Posts

June 19th, 2016 17:00

Hi HLH3,

The monitor you have purchased is quite good. 

Its just that the system you possess is an outdated model.

And the vga port is also phasing out and we do not find them in any newer machines. The vga is analog signal and hence the quality is poor compared to any digital technology such as HDMI / DP.

Having said that, for your system, you could use a vga to DP converter and this should convert the analog signal to digital and you would have better display. The resolution of the monitor would depend on the graphics card compatibility and if you would be able to connect a digital to digital connection.

The converter you need - http://amzn.to/1YBngDw -  You could also check your local stores if you could get a similar converter. Or you could also choose a better quality - get a vga to display port converter cable - http://amzn.to/1tDE69b

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!