MikeWarren
1 Copper

Audio Recording

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop with Windows 10, and I want to do some audio recording.  The problem is that I'm getting no sound input either from the internal microphone, or the external.

I think the Realtek sound driver update is to blame, and the settings are misconfigured, since it did work before.  Is there a problem with Windows 10, or perhaps the drivers?

How can I repair this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

RE: Audio Recording

Realtek sound driver update

and the settings are misconfigured

Hello. The only Realtek driver that Dell has released for the Inspiron 3521 with Win10 is the Realtek 6.0.1.7520.  You can correct any misconfiguration in the settings by doing a basic reinstall of the driver.

1.    Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2.    Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" category.
3.    Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
4.    Click "uninstall".
5.    Do not check the box to “delete the driver software for this device”.
6.    Restart the computer. Windows will detect your device and re-install the driver. The driver is re-built from files that are in a folder on the hard drive.

The reason this process fixes some audio issues is that it resets the driver settings to their default configuration. The default configuration is that the internal mic will be the default recording device, unless there is a mic plugged into the mic jack, and then that will be the default device.

Is there a problem with Windows 10

Windows 10 treats audio differently from other Windows, and there might still be bugs, but the mics should work okay. If it has been less than 30 days, you should be able to revert to your old operating system if necessary.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos