Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

November 5th, 2017 12:00

Audio lag on windows 10

I got a dell inspiron 15, from the 5000 series and noticed an audio lag right after. I problem is quite interesting. There's a lag in sound when any audio starts i.e if i play some video on youtube, it doesn't start instantaneously and sometimes the video plays but the sound doesn't come for a few seconds. I tried changing the realtek driver to high definition audio but no luck. Interestingly, when i connect this pc to an external monitor via HDMI, the lag goes and the audio plays back just fine on the monitor. But normally there is a lag. There are supposed to be two distinct charm sounds when we plug some removable disk drive to some usb port. All I hear is just one which sounds like a mixture of both. Please help!!

• 

17K Posts

November 7th, 2017 08:00

usama_9HK,

You can click the link below to view the YouTube video for resolving audio lag and crackling. This is not a Dell Video but, it works to resolve the issues.

How to fix sound lag and crackling sound on windows 10/window 7/ windows 8.1

3 Posts

November 7th, 2017 09:00

I tried this but it did not resolve the issue. My audio latency is like 1000+ using the DPC Latency checker as used in the video.

• 

17K Posts

November 8th, 2017 08:00

usama_9hk,

Below are some things to try and resolve the issue.

Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar located at the bottom right of the screen and select Playback Devices
Select Mixer
Make sure none is disabled.

Uninstall Sound Driver in Device Manager and then reinstall it back into the computer.

Change default sound format

Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar located at the bottom right of the screen and select Playback Devices

In Playback tab, select your speakers, which is set as default, and click Properties.

Click Advanced tab. Under “Default Format”, alter the sample rate and bit depth until one of the settings works. Click Apply and OK to save the change. Preferably select 24 bit, 44100 Hz or 24 bit, 192000 Hz.

Also, try disabling all Enhancements in the audio properties.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 9th, 2017 04:00

My audio latency is like 1000+ using the DPC Latency checker

Hello. I don't have an answer but just wanted to explain that the DPC Latency checker tool does not measure audio latency. It measures Delayed Procedural Call, which by its nature has some amount of latency. When there is excessive DPC latency then you could get some audio symptoms such as crackling and stuttering.

Audio latency is a different thing. It's the delay between input and output, normally caused by the time it takes to process the audio signal.

Your lag might be caused by excessive DPC latency, although such excessive latency would also affect other processes such as video. But my feeling is that your lag is caused by a delay in the startup of the audio system, perhaps due to some poorly implemented power saving scheme. If the problem were DPC latency then I think you would be seeing other audio symptoms than just a lag at the very beginning of the audio.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't try to track down the cause of the excessive DPC latency. It's usually caused by a poorly written driver, and it's usually a driver other than the audio driver. If the audio driver were the one hogging the cpu  then the audio would be just fine.

14 Posts

November 9th, 2017 11:00

I got the same problem. Brand new Dell Inspiron 5000 series (P66F) "Inspiron 15 5567". The audio initially lags and pops the first time it plays something, lags 1 to 2 seconds. If you're quick and keep playing audio clips it's okay, but once it sits silent for 5 seconds it's back to square one again.

I bought an SSD and cloned the OS to the new drive. It had some lag. I upgraded from Win 10 CU to Win 10 FCU using my tried and true USB drive I've used for numerous computers. Still had an audio lag.

So then I just wiped the OS on the new SSD and installed a fresh clean Win 10 FCU. Right when it was done installing I believe the audio was okay, didn't really test it too much without internet when the desktop appeared. It finished installing drivers in the background and shortly after I tested the audio and the lag was back again. Without me installing anything else. The issue may have happened right after Windows 10 automatically installed the Waves MaxAudio software/driver. There's no uninstall heading in Programs and Features to uninstall the software. I've tried to rename/remove the directories but no change. I would need to install a clean OS again without internet driver updates to fully test this theory, which I don't have time to do.

So even a brand new Win 10 FCU install has audio pops/lags. It seems to be either a bad driver from Microsoft or faulty hardware in all Inspiron 5000 series.

I've tried to download the latest driver from Realtek website, Dell website and even the Windows Update internal driver. Nothing fixed the audio lag. I've even tried the registry tricks but there's no PowerMgnt key, and even creating it didn't fix the issue. And besides, why do we have to "hack" the registry anyway with a brand new Win 10 install?

No Events found!