Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2016 13:00

BIOS UPDATE A10/ A13/ A16 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER

HI,

I have an XPS 15 9550 laptop with 4K screen. I installed the recently released BIOS update which is supposed to address the flickering screen issue. Previously I only ever experienced some minor intermittent flicker at brightness level 0 but after the update, flickering was occurring quite frequently - I checked this upto brightness level 50% and it occurs at all the way up.

It appears the update has made things much much worse Luckily I managed to roll back to A06 which must be the previous release as its the only one on the downloads page.

Anyone else find the update made things much worse?

Be good to know what Dell is doing to sort this out (again).

4 Posts

April 6th, 2017 15:00

I am getting the same issue on a new XPS-15 purchased Nov 2016 - updated bios.  Now getting screen flicker and the following error code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE  on igdkmd64.sys.  Getting multiple app lockupus (Outlook, Word, Excel) that requires a reboot to start up again.  Screen flickr shows up most when wake up from sleep mode.  Need help.

April 6th, 2017 16:00

Ugh, there seems to be no easy way to disable windows updates in Win 10.  For grins I went back to the MS tool to disable specific updates and it no longer shows me an option to disable this intel video driver update, nor does it show the update as "hidden".  Crossing fingers that it won't update again but not holding my breath.  This is going to be a huge cluster for dell as everyone with a XPS 15 is likely impacted (possibly other laptops).  Not to mention the arrogance on MS*** making it next to impossible to disable updates.  They need to get their backsides class actioned further.

1 Message

April 7th, 2017 04:00

yes I've been having the same issue. The BSOD (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE - igdkmd64.sys)  and flicker with grey screen came after waking up the laptop. I uninstalled the driver you mentioned below and it fixes the issue. I only hope a they will fix this soon. Thanks for your help.

6 Posts

April 7th, 2017 12:00

had to uninstall multiple times and beat the autoupdate to hide the update.

6 Posts

April 7th, 2017 13:00

any1 tried installing from intel their drivers?

1 Message

April 8th, 2017 07:00

Yes, same problems, frequency high; on a relatively new, loaded Dell 9550 xps 15 with suscription Windows 10.  VERY frustrating.  I am a business person so rolling back and hiding and such work-arounds are not an option for me, nor should they be!  I paid a lot for this 'best' Dell machine and I expect Dell and Microsoft to fix it promptly - because surely they KNOW there's a problem.

1 Message

April 8th, 2017 15:00

Same here, XPS 15. After booting into windows the systems goes to halt with screen flickering + video_tdr_failure error. I can't believe this update is shipped without testing.

18 Posts

April 8th, 2017 21:00

It's really weird. I don't have such problem.

Some data points:

1) I don't use dell premier color. It was uninstalled

2) I updated BIOS to 1.2.21

3) I updated nvidia driver to the latest

4) installed Windows 10 Creators update with windows update tool, it automatically updated Intel driver to 4590

Everything is super stable.

April 9th, 2017 07:00

I'm in the exact same situation. I bought the max config (XPS 15 9550 with 32GB & 1TB NVMe SSD) for my business use in mid september 2016.

I recently started experiencing increasingly long periods of screen flickering shortly after updating to the latest stream of drivers and BIOS from Dell in late March early April up to the point where my machine consistently crashed (STOP CODE: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE igdkmd64.sys) shortly after logging in making the machine completely unusable.

I then tried every type of restore option all the way to a full RESET and REINSTALL of Windows 10, with the exact same crashing behaviour.

I started believing that there might be a hardware problem. But when I booted to my Linux partition, I noticed that everything was perfectly fine. The BIOS Diagnostics also confirmed the HW was all fine.

FIX:

So I switched back to Windows 10 and proceed to disabling the Intel Graphics from the Device Manager, which gave me more stability but prevented the use of an external monitor (deal breaker for me). Finally, I downloaded the previous version of the Intel HD Graphics 530 (i.e. v20.19.15.4531) and everything worked even (single & dual monitor, no flickering, stable environment, etc.).

The problem then became the stupid Windows 10 Update that automatically fetches the latest buggy & crash prone driver for Intel HD Graphics 530 which brings back the systematic crashes and reboots.

So on the following boot, I had to use the device manager, disable the Intel HD Graphics 530 again, then right-click and select Properties and on the Driver Tab select Roll Back Driver and provide an explicit reason under Other which Intel /Dell will likely ignore...

Anyway, I guess I have stability again (by Windows' standard; I *NEVER* had such problems with any of my 3 Macbook Pros over 10+ years).

HTH, MT

April 9th, 2017 07:00

Same issue here!!!!! following bios and intel graphics driver update for XPS 15 9550. Now I am getting screen flickering and freezing. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE - igdkmd64.sys. Extremely frustrating!!! hope Dell and Microsoft fix this issue promptly.

2 Posts

April 9th, 2017 08:00

I agree with elter, Uninstall dell premier colour and update everything else (including upgrade to windows 10 creators update)

All issues are now fixed- including annoying black lock screen!

At last!

178 Posts

April 10th, 2017 08:00

I am having the exact same problem.

Dell... PLEASE help us !!!!

April 10th, 2017 10:00

I uninstalled Dell Premier Colors which seems to solve the problem - the driver is updated to 21.20.16.4590 and Win.10 - to Creators Edition.

I am quite disappointed that Dell was that sloppy with this update.

April 10th, 2017 11:00

= Driver Roll Back =

1) In Device Manager, find the device Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

2) Double-click on the device name to select the device.

3) In the Properties window, click the Driver tab and then click the Roll Back Driver button.

As a result my computer has returned to 20.19.15.4531 driver and work perfectly

April 11th, 2017 09:00

I was too early to celebrate success after uninstalling Premier Colors (see my post above). The flicker seems to disappear but the colors change to strange pink hue that I was not able to remove via calibration. I rolled back the driver, the colors seem to be normal now.

I disabled automatic updates but the issue has to be resolved.

No Events found!