Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

August 8th, 2004 20:00

BIOS Update causing mouse to malfunction

Hi there,

I upgraded my BIOS to A16 on my Dell Latitude CPx laptop.  Since the
update I have not been able to use the mouse.  Upon start up the mouse works but after a while the cursor only moves intermittantly and then stops altogether.  When the happens the cursor can only be moved by the touchpad.

I have loaded new driver files, changed the settings on the BIOS between the touchpad on keyboard and the mouse, it still won't work.  I would  really appreciate any assistance you could offer.

Thanks!

4 Posts

August 19th, 2004 01:00

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.  Continous emails to Dell haven't, so far, generated a response...

Thanks

3.1K Posts

August 19th, 2004 17:00

URMaxwell,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Are you using the touch-pad or an external mouse?  Was this the only change that was made to the system?  You might want to see if you can undo the last BIOS update by loading the previous version on top of the newer one.

1 Message

August 29th, 2004 18:00

The mouse pointer on the keybord does have problems after a while . it has nothing to do with your bios upgrade.

solution,

1. get a new keybord

2. disable mouse pointer within your bios and connect a external mouse

3. never touch the keybord mousepointer just use the touchpad

Good luck...

4 Posts

August 31st, 2004 01:00

Thanks for the reply!

I am using an external mouse, however after booting up the system the mouse ceases to work after 20 mins or so, the cusor starts stopping and starting (when moving) and then it stops altogether.  From then I can only use the pointer in the center of the keyboard.

My BIOS was updated to A16 after a few memory chips were found to be defective, the mouse has never worked correctly since.

I really need to get the mouse working as one of the mouse buttons on the laptop has broken and now makes the laptop very difficult to use.

Thanks for all your help

4 Posts

August 31st, 2004 01:00

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.  I think replacing the keyboard on this laptop would be a very expensive solution to this problem as it seems to be software rather than hardware in origin.

I have disabled the mouse pointer within the BIOS and it still doesn't work.  Very strange!

Thanks again.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 15th, 2021 22:00

Hi, Are the extended diagnostics complete? If yes, please share the results, and we’ll be able to suggest the next course of action.
No Events found!