Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2016 17:00

BIOS Updates on Linux (M3800)

How do I update the BIOS on a Linux build of the M3800?  The downloads page only provides an exe file, which doesn't work on Linux.  I also found a page that describes loading the BIOS using a bootable thumb drive, but creating the thumb drive also requires Windows.

The M3800 has been very unstable, and I'm hoping a BIOS update will help.

2.3K Posts

February 20th, 2016 13:00

Hello!  So from everything I could quickly find on the Precision M3800, it came with Windows installed and is not "officially" supported with Linux as such there will not be any way to update the  BIOS without re-installing Windows to do so.  If you have access to a Windows installed computer, you could take the exe file or BIOS file and make a bootable flash drive.

I am not a linux expert by any means, but I have heard of programs like WINE that can emulate windows however since you are updating the BIOS I would highly recommend you use the above two options to update your BIOS less you brick the computer.

Its also possible someone has another idea. 

2 Posts

February 20th, 2016 14:00

The M3800 developer Edition definitely came with Ubuntu, it even has a little orange sticker on it.  Here's the review from Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/review-dell-m3800-developer-edition-is-a-great-linux-pc-with-a-few-rough-edges/

I don't own any Windows computers.

2.3K Posts

February 20th, 2016 15:00

Oh! I didn't know that :-) Well outside of finding a friend or family member with a windows computer i'm not sure.  I did notice that the 'supported OS' list includes Ubuntu, so i'm not sure why they didn't put any drivers or applications up for it. 

July 19th, 2016 16:00

This page has instructions on how to use Linux to flash the BIOS on an XPS 13. The same idea should probably work for an M3800 Developer Edition (I have one; haven't tried the procedure, though). No Windos required.

bartongeorge.net/.../

No Events found!