Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

March 22nd, 2008 01:00

BIOS Upgrade Help

I want to upgrade the BIOS on my Dell Inspiron E1505, but my battery needs to be replaced. When you upgrade you need to have the battery and the outlet connection at the same time,and I'm not ready to fork over $220 for a new battery, so can somebody help me?

3.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 03:00

I would not advise a bios update w/out the battery and psu.If you do not want to fork over that much for a battery go to ebay you can get genuine dell batteries for $50-$75.You can do a bios update with a flash drive,some people have done it w/out the battery this way but not recomended.Unless the bios has an added feature you require or fixes problems you have now (if it aint broke dont fix it) do not do it.A bad bios flash will render your laptop a paper weight.

14.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 12:00

While I agree with the above poster, provided your ac supply is reliable then the extra risk is minimal to flash without a battery in-situ.

to the OP you can try running the flash command "biosfilename.exe /forceit" noting that there is a space between biosfilename.exe and /forceit.

4K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 17:00

I agree with bacillus

I have done a number of flashes without the battery and no problems. Just do not do it in the middle of Lightning storms where a power failure is possible/probable or kick the AC cord loose in mid-flash as I did once. Luckily that was with the battery installed.LOL

No Events found!