Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2009 18:00

BIOS clock slow- Not due to CMOS battery

Hey everyone...it appears I'm having some issues with a slow clock.  I have an XPS M1330.  Initially, it would fall behind a few hours each day, INCLUDING the BIOS time.  Also I noticed frequent Wi-Fi disconnections, as well as when I would shut down the laptop, it would not completely shut down.  It would go into what I believe would be an "idle" state, showing the blue power LED still being lit.  I would have to then manually shut down the laptop by holding the power button.  That was the only way of getting it out of the so-called "idle" state.  So first thing I decided to try was to replace the CMOS battery which was the first suggestion.  After replacing the CMOS battery, I got about 2 weeks of flawless performance; no slow clock, and no powering off issues.  Now, the clock is running slow again and I can't seem to figure out why.  I updated to the latest BIOS (A14 I believe), which seemed to work for about a day, now it's back to being slow again.  It is not shutting down properly either.  When I check the BIOS time, it is also incorrect.  I'm not sure if this a motherboard issue or what but any suggestions or ideas would be great. 

2 Posts

November 11th, 2010 13:00

I experienced the same problem, but i just want to know how to solve it.

My inspiron is out of warranty and I regret of choosing dell.

Does anybody knows what I should do? CHange motherboard? Which motherboard should I choose?

On Suport web site, they don´t sugest me any motherboard.

Dell, never more!

1 Message

November 13th, 2010 18:00

Same issue here....  

Very disappointed with the M1330, which was a great machine at first. 

Convenient how the machine fails after a couple years of being out of warranty. 

By the way, I purchased mine from AAFES, perhaps the broken M1330s have something in common.

September 9th, 2011 10:00

I use this widget to work around the problem

www.tolvanen.com/syncit

It needs a constant connection to the net though

1 Message

September 9th, 2011 10:00

Slightly different problem with my XPS M1330. My clock was falling behind when the laptop was on and was not working at all when the laptop was either suspended or turned off. I replaced the CMOS battery and now the clock works fine when the laptop is on but is still not moving when the laptop is off. Every time I start working I have to resynchronize the clock on the internet, after that it works fine. Any suggestions?

1 Message

November 2nd, 2011 11:00

I experienced the exact same problem as mentioned in this post. Replaced the cmos battery myself, but after two weeks the problem returned. Even though my warranty expired two years ago, Dell replaced the cmos battery and motherboard free of charge. This is due to Norway's excellent consumer protection laws. 

However, it's now been another two weeks and sadly, the problem has returned. It starts by windows clock slowing down. About 4 weeks after that the computer will crash before bios even loads with only one line: "Time-of-day clock stopped". 

At this point your options become severely limited, but replacing the cmos clock will get you up and running again for a while. 

I will contact Dell again today and see what they say. But it seems a new motherboard and cmos battery did not fix the problem, so save your money. 

2 Posts

May 15th, 2013 05:00

I have the same problem.

Interestingly though, my XPS1330 was purchased in early 2008, so its around 5 years old - the life of a battery...

Hopefully that is all it is, so once i can source one of these sealed/pigtailed batteries i will post here whether it resolved the problem.

I have recently installed an SSD with a clean OS install of Vista32, a few things have not been quite right since that was done, screen not always recovering from sleep, keyboard sometimes typing back a few lines.. will try to debug, as this machine has been a mix of pleasure and pain. The GPU timebomb is always in the back of my mind, but when this machine is working its great!

1 Message

June 3rd, 2016 03:00

Hiya

I was just wondering if you ever found the solution to this, as I have exactly the same problem. I have, like you did, done rebuilds on it, changed the cmos battery etc etc but nothing seems to cure the clock which has a mind of its own

Thanks

Phil

2 Posts

June 15th, 2016 04:00

Hi,

Not sure that will be the silver bullet for everyone..

I did have this problem, and found that replacing the battery resolved it for a short period of time - around 3 months maximum.  So I bought a couple of batteries off ebay and kept a spare with the lappie, have not need it lately though.  I dont know if it is coincidental, but i upgraded my 1330 to Windows10 and added a Samsung SSD last December, and have not had the problem since. 

This was a pain free upgrade, the only issue being the wifi driver, which is now fine.   The new OS install included full firmware and driver updates, now everything is working very nicely, including the bios clock and the sleep feature - which was problematic in vista. 

cheers,

MrC

No Events found!