CG Tech
1 Copper

BIOS update removing Windows Activation Key?

I have a Latitude 6430U and I have upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have reimaged the laptop several times using a Windows 10 image without any issues. However, today I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and afterwards wiped the drive and put a new Windows 10 image on it. When the image completed, it was saying that Windows wasn't activated. I found that strange as it's never asked for that information before. It normally auto-activates. I used a tool called OEM key to try and get the Product Key and it told me "unable to open the MSDM table". I've never gotten that error before. Usually it pulls the key up and I can copy and paste the key to activate Windows. Luckily I still have the Windows activation key under the battery and I was able to activate Windows. My only thought is that the BIOS update wiped out the Windows Activation key on the motherboard and that is why it's unable to register/activate with Microsoft after a new image. Can anyone confirm this suspicion? 

0 Kudos