Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2010 01:00

BSOD on E6500/XP SP3 with external USB video device

Hi,

I have a brand new Latitude E6500 with 4GB RAM and Windows XP (32bit) SP3 installed and with an integrated Creative webcam (driver version 1.7.1.901). The webcam itself works with common utilities (Skype, etc.). When connecting a external USB video device like Philips SPC900NC or a MSI Movie Vox mini everything works fine unless I start any video application. Then I get a BSOD caused by ks.sys.

A BSOD also appears when having no external USB video device connected and starting an audio recording application. Then the root cause is in OA001Afx.sys.

The same external hardware and software (including XP SP3) worked flawlessly on a IBM R51. Same hardware and utility software also works on my home laptop (Acer) which has an integrated webcam like the E6500 (but not from Creative Technology Ltd.).

I installed latest Windows updates on the E6500 and also tried the original DELL driver version 1.6.3.309, but the crash is still there.

Has anybody any idea? I very much suspect the Creative Technology driver OA001*.sys as the root cause.

Regards,

Jörg

February 24th, 2010 12:00

Same problem here.  Starting some audio recording applications like "Free Audio Editor" (you can get it from CNET Download.com) to reproduce this.

BSOD due to OA001AFX.SYS  Stop 0x...8E

E6500, Win XP SP3, all drivers and OS patches up to date.

2 Posts

March 30th, 2010 07:00

Problem is still unsolved here (E6500, integrated webcam). I updated the Creative Technology Ltd. webcam driver to version 1.8.1.129 from 01/29/2010 using Windows Update, tried to open a video application accessing an external USB video device and *boom*. BSOD caused by ks.sys.

Seems to be very great driver software from Creative BSOD Technology.

May 28th, 2010 03:00

Our company has about 50-60 of the same model (E6500) and all machines with XP SP3 gives off the same BSOD as mentioned above.

This however occurs to us even though we don't have any external devices attached to the machine, and only when using the Projectplace meeting rooms.

Personally I run the same hardware but have Windows 7 Professional and there's no problems there, might be that hardware has run faster then XP can keep up with in terms of compatibility?

If someone, however, finds a fix for this, please let me know.

//Jaggernauten

3 Posts

August 7th, 2010 02:00

Just for your information, this BSOD occurs also on my SP2309W monitor which has a builtin camera. I explained my problem in another post

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19339237.aspx

Creative driver installed version is v1.1.2.804 and Windows XP SP3 is running.

Let me know if anybody has solved this issue.

1 Message

August 19th, 2010 06:00

Dell Latitude E6500 (32bit) series using XP Pro SP3 will not capture video via firewire.  Also, this series is unable to accept a rebuild of Windows XP Pro.

Here’s my story.  I have seven Latitude E6500 series laptops.  ALL of them have Win XP Pro SP3 and none of them can capture video. (period)

Dell Latitude E6510 produces the BSOD with STOP code 0x0000008E consistently when trying to capture video from a digital video camera.  Dell Tech stepped me through downloading and installing various driver updates.  The BSOD came up consistently when trying to capture video.  He then used DellConnect.com to control the computer and try more setting changes but with no luck.

I had just received another new Dell Latitude E6510 right out of the box.  Went through the new computer setup.  Plugged in the Sony Video camera via firewire and selected the Windows Movie Maker to capture video.  Same BSOD ky.sys with STOP code 0x0000008E problem.

Dell Tech requested that I reload the operating system and he would call me back the next day.  I chose the brand new computer to reload.  After selecting the CD to start up via the F12 startup option, the OS began to install.  About 3 minutes into the setup, the BSOD came up with a STOP code of 0x0000007B.

On the first computer I even tried starting in SAFE mode but found that SAFE mode will not capture video.

Tried booting via F2, System Config, SATA operation, and changing from RAID On, to AHCI.  Tried to reinstall the OS but got a message that the drive was not recognized.  Back to F2, System Config, SATA operation, and changing from AHCI to RAID On.  Tried reinstalling OS and got the BSOD as before.

Dell sent a new HD but it didn’t have XP on it so I was back in the same boat in that the system will not even load XP (with my site license CD, or with the media provided by Dell).  Had to use a Dell provided Vista  OS.  And guess what, it loaded and the system now captures video as required.

Solution:  Load Vista or Windows 7

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 14:00

What webcam driver are you using with the latest working configuration? I managed to use the external webcam just uninstalling the driver for builtin camera provided by Dell (which is coming from Creative) and forcing Windows to use standard driver that appears on control panel as "USB video imaging device". Dell Webcam Central version 1.40.35 is installed and it works properly.

I am not happy of this workaround because Windows asks me at every boot to install a driver for the builtin webcam when it detects it, but it allows me to use other webcams without occuring in BSODs at least.

November 25th, 2010 14:00

Our company has about 50-60 of the same model (E6500) and all machines with XP SP3 gives off the same BSOD as mentioned above.

This however occurs to us even though we don't have any external devices attached to the machine, and only when using the Projectplace meeting rooms.

Personally I run the same hardware but have Windows 7 Professional and there's no problems there, might be that hardware has run faster then XP can keep up with in terms of compatibility?

If someone, however, finds a fix for this, please let me know.

//Jaggernauten

It's quite useful, Thanks for your sharing!
No Events found!