Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

September 26th, 2017 04:00

Bad laptop specs

Although I am still very happy with my Dell e6400, now with a 512 GB ssd and dvd replaced with a cradle and 512 GB hybrid harddisk. I still sometimes look at specs of current laptop setups and I wonder why the ***, things have to be so small so nothing fits anymore.
All Dells that I still have from Lattitude C600 C650 D600, D610 and E6400 they all had the possibility for two batteries or replace the CDrom with an extra harddisk.
Now a days with M2 SSD's one would expect an extra harddisk in every laptop. But this is never the case.
My perfect laptop needs to have an M2 SSD + an extra hybrid harddisk. Why does Dell not deliver this for me, why do you fail me after so many years or am I not looking at the right places?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 26th, 2017 04:00

Consumers have demanded thin and light - and manufacturers have responded.  Additionally, just about all the Windows PC makers are playing follow the (design) leader - Apple.

If you're looking for dual-drive (M.2 + 2.5") they do exist -- most gaming-class systems have the option.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 26th, 2017 09:00

The XPS 15 offers M.2 and a 2.5" bay as long as you get the version with the smaller battery.  I think there are some 15"+ Inspiron and Latitude models where this is also the case, and there are definitely Precision models that will allow this even without having to use a smaller battery.  But yes, Dell is responding to market demands.  People who use multiple hard drives in laptops are a tiny minority.  Increased use of cloud storage means some people don't even need as much local storage on their PCs anymore, and those who do are often willing to bite the bullet and buy a larger SSDs these days rather than using a small SSD for the OS and a large spinning drive for "bulk" data.  Yes it's more expensive, but it means everything on your system is faster, you get longer battery life from not having a spinning platter, and your laptop is both thinner, lighter, and physically smaller from not having to have that extra 2.5" bay -- or that space is instead used for a larger battery, which of course means more battery life.

No Events found!