Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2009 19:00

Battery Charge Cycle question

Batteries have a life usually expressed in charge cycles.

Does that include everytime you plug in AC, even if battery fully charged?

If not, how discharged must a battery be for the recharge to count

(I actually work on assumption that batteries are good for about a year, but I am curious)

6.4K Posts

March 30th, 2009 21:00

The charge cycle spec for lithium-ion is for a discharge to about 20% capacity and then back to fully charged.  I don't know if there is a precise formula for how much the life is extended by not going all the way to 20%, but it must have some effect.  My experience on my Inspiron 5160 with the nine-cell 96 watt-hour battery is that both have lasted about four years thus far.  When they were new, they would power the computer for about three and a fraction hours.  Now the capacity is down enough that I get about two hours.  I don't allow them to discharge fully very often, which is probably why they still work.

There is a post that has a link to a good paper on battery life and care, but with the forum change my link no longer works.  You could try a search for battery life to see if you can bring it up; perhaps you will have more success than I.

27 Posts

March 31st, 2009 09:00

Thank you.

2.9K Posts

March 31st, 2009 10:00

I think the Link that Jack Shack was referring to is Battery University. There is a lot of very useful information there.

27 Posts

March 31st, 2009 10:00

Thanks. Worrying about my batteries is one of my useless phobias

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2009 11:00

Rebel9;

Thank you very kindly.  I've been wondering how to find that page for a while now.

2.9K Posts

March 31st, 2009 12:00

No problem Jack. Glad to help!

No Events found!