Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

May 23rd, 2007 05:00

Battery charge status light flashes: 3 orange flashes followed by 1 green; this is repeated

I posted this problem 2 weeks ago under the wrong section. I also omitted some information. So apologies to those who responded originally but here we go again.

The manual describes this flashing light combination as indicative of the temperature of the unit being too hot to charge. The advise given is to shut down the computer, disconnect from the electrical outlet and let the battery and the computer cool to room temperature. However teh battery was not hot by any means and teh computer was just luke warm (I omitted this fact last time). None the less I did shut down and indeed left it for some time even though everything was cool. However, upon re-start the same condition occurs.. ie the battery charge status light flashes:3 orange flashes followed by one green, repeatedly.

The battery condition screen shows teh battery as being in good order (indicator in the yellow band close to the green band ) and charged at 98%. Generally I get about 1 hours usage when on teh battery altho this seems to ahve dropped since I ought teh machine. In other words everything seems fine so why are these lights flashing? Can I do anything to stop them?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 23rd, 2007 12:00

One or more of the cells in the battery has gone bad - it will need replacement before too long.

10 Posts

May 23rd, 2007 18:00

Thanks for the response. Can I buy the cells 3rd party or do I buy from Dell? If 3rd party, can you recommend a supplier please?

54 Posts

May 24th, 2007 13:00

ebay should have some. If not google it! I think the Dell outlet should supply them! there is a parts phone number for dell on these forums somewhere. Just search for it!

10 Posts

May 24th, 2007 15:00

Thanks, I'll try these. Last questions on this topic (I hope!!) regarding the flashing lights on the laptop. From the foregoing I think it is fair to assume that nothing catastrophic is happening although clearly I must watch out for the overheating scenario, should it arise.

So, in the interim until I can find replacement cells, is there any way these lights can be switched off for this problem?

Or do I have to put up with them whilst running the laptop on the battery? 

I presume that other than for charging the battery I can remove the battery when running the laptop on the mains?

Thanks again.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 24th, 2007 22:00

I would be very, very careful if you plan to rebuild the battery with new cells. Lithium ion batteries aren't very forgiving, and they contain a highly reactive metal (lithium) and a flammable alcohol-based electrolyte - they can and do catch fire and explode.

There is no way to turn the warning off - a piece of opaque electrical tape will work to block the LED though.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2007 23:00

My 6400 has just started doing the same thing at 15 months. Battery fully charged, in good condition, nothing wrong except that orange flashing 3 times then green. Manual says "temporary battery failure". Dell website refers to knowledge base article 299393. No help there with what that means. Temporary???  Looks like opaque electrical tape for me. Not inclined to buy another 9 cell heavy duty battery from Dell.

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2007 02:00

My 6400 too started doing the same thing last night and its happening right now. Same as last poster said everything seems to work ok but except its flashing. Hope it doesn't explode in summer, man... what should I do now?

2 Posts

July 4th, 2007 02:00

Seems that there is a consistent problem here. Question 1 is whether this is connected to the Dell battery recall, though my battery code number was not among those listed. Question 2 is whether this is a bigger problem that just we Forum contributors and therefore whether Dell are taking responsibility for this seeming problem. Either way I think we are entitled to a response from Dell, who I am sure monitor the Forum, on the extent of the problem and what is being done about it.

64 Posts

July 4th, 2007 02:00

hmm, very interesting. E1505, same here, battery is 9cell a little over a yr old, still has 3-4 hrs of juice after charging, but I get the 4 orange and long green blinking (the last orange is barely visible).

reading some more. otherwise notebook is behaving normal.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2007 08:00

I now took the battery out, running it from the ac adaptor. No more flashing as theres no battery inside.

1.5K Posts

July 18th, 2007 14:00

PHILLIW19 wrote:
Question 2 is whether this is a bigger problem that just we Forum contributors and therefore whether Dell are taking responsibility for this seeming problem. Either way I think we are entitled to a response from Dell, who I am sure monitor the Forum, on the extent of the problem and what is being done about it.

Batteries that are over a year old have exceeded there life expectancy, that's why we only warranty them for a year. If you are getting these light codes you probably just need to replace your battery before you end up without one when you need it.

August 26th, 2007 07:00

Jimmy - I'm another person with a E1505 just out of warranty with the battery indicator flashing 4 times orange then green.  My battery charges to 100%, when I push the test button on my batter all 5 light show up as green, and I still get 3-4 hours of charge out of the battery when not plugged in.

Something doesn't seem right as all other indications are the battery is performing well.  Based on a lot of other posts I've read tonight it seems that like me, many other people are getting these messages within 12-14 months of the battery being purchases.

Lithium-ion batteries typically lose 10-30% of their capacity in a year (it is based more on time from manufacture than number of charge/discharge cycles) and based on the amount work I can get out of my current battery it seems pretty healthy.

Please address these concerns as there seem to be a lot of people with the same issues. 

Thanks.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2015 14:00

What worked for me once (I'm now having the problem again) is to completely drain the battery. This means you will have to keep on turning it on after it shuts down automatically until there is no more response from the laptop at all. After this it seems the battery forgot that it was broken. 

"unfortunately" my laptop lasts about 8 hours on its battery so it will be a while until I know whether this will fix it again this time. Other than that my battery seems perfectly healthy so if it doesn't work I'll use some tape. 

No Events found!