Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2016 08:00

Battery problem?

I have an Inspiron 1545 about 10 yrs old. I almost always use it with the AC adapter. About 6 months ago I started using it on battery several times a week and found the original battery would discharge very quickly - then a message appeared saying the battery needed to be replaced. I replaced it with a generic battery which worked fine, and I had about 2 hours of battery time before it discharged. Over time, the battery discharges quicker and quicker until now I have about a half hour of battery life. 

Yesterday, I tried to use the laptop on battery and after about 10 min. it abruptly shut down - no low battery warning, just suddenly a black screen and power light off. I turned it back on, the battery was at 56%, and it ran for about 5 min before shutting down. Next time I turned it on, the battery was at 36% and it shut of almost immediately.

I connected the AC adapter later and charged it up to 100% and ran it off the adapter for the rest of the day and left it plugged in all night. Today, I tried to run the laptop off the battery and it turned off after about 10 min. with the battery at 86%. I plugged in and went to Dell support where I ran a battery diagnostic and it reported the battery passed. 

For what its worth, I really like this computer - very,very few problems and those have been easily fixed using both Dell support and Microsoft support. I run the Microsoft security essentials scan for spyware and malware weekly, and periodically run an advertising malware scan and cleaner.

Is this battery failing or is this a problem with the computer?

2K Posts

November 19th, 2016 16:00

Hi SUSANH917,

The generic battery - was it an Dell OEM battery or a 3rd party purchase? Where have you purchased the battery from?

Based on your description, the adapter seems to work fine as it charges the battery everytime the adapter is plugged in.

I suppose this could be an issue with the battery itself. Most non Dell OEM batteries although work on your system, they might not come with good durability. Some 3rd party batteries might be refurbished - the cells in the battery replaced. In due time, the cells would cease to charge after reaching a certain point in the rechargeable cycle.

My suggestion is, if the battery is a non Dell product, then try returning the battery if possible.

I am not sure if we would have the battery in stock for this system model, as it is considered obsolete. 

You could however, try contacting our support team to check for availability here - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

You could also order the part here as well - http://bit.ly/2g8FuLf

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

2 Posts

November 19th, 2016 20:00

Hi Rishi, thank you so much for your answer. I was pretty sure that the problem is the battery. The battery is indeed a 3rd party battery, purchased from an authorized Dell repair shop and has a 3 yr warranty. The OEM replacement battery is no longer available from Dell, so I'll have to return this one under the warranty and hope for the best.

Thanks again for your help,

Susan

2K Posts

November 20th, 2016 14:00

Hi Susan,

You could also order the battery from the link I have provided.

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

No Events found!