Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2011 08:00

Battery replace?

My 2 year old Studio 1555 gives me a warning at the energy-icon and tells me that I sholuld replace my battery (in german: 'Sie sollten den Akku austauschen'). The laptop is now 2 years and 1 month old, and that is not what I expected from a Dell-computer...   :(

How serious is such a warning? Until now everything still works fine, but I don't want to risk a 'crash'.

Bye

Cornholiho

Germany

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 17th, 2011 09:00

How long does your battery last compared to when it was new?

Battery life varies with several issues. They will only last 300-600 discharge/charge cycles. Depth of discharge is very important. A full discharge is bad. Lithium batteries used in electric cars are only allowed to discharge to 50-65% in order to lengthen lifetime (remember they are warranted for 100,000 miles).

The battery in my M1530 is almost 4 years old, and is starting to give significantly less use time. Some batteries only last a year if used every day.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 17th, 2011 10:00

You should be aware that the computer will still work with the adapter alone after you remove the battery. Two years is good life span for a battery. If you don't need the mobility of a laptop and always use it as a desktop replacement with the adapter plugged in, you can skip buying a new battery when it dies. Just remove it.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2011 04:00

Two years is a good life span for a battery??? My former laptops battery lasted for 5 five years under exactly the same environment! And I expected at least the same quality from a Dell device, which is about 30% more expensive.

And yes, I know that I can use the laptop without the battery, but I need it very often without external power.

But as I learned in several other forums it seems quite 'normal' for the 1555 studio line that the batteries are going to die just after passing the 2year warranty... I think, this will be the end of my first Dell-experience.

But anyways: thanks for answering!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 18th, 2011 06:00

If you are going to expect 5+ years on a laptop battery. Good luck.

You'll be disappointed whether you buy Dell or some other brand.

And frankly, this throwing a tantrum about not buying a Dell again is rather pointless. The people who answer the questions here don't care and Dell doesn't read this.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 19th, 2011 16:00

I might get 5 years from my battery, but the use time will probably be down to 5 minutes.

These batteries will not give good performance beyond about 3 years. Use time will keep dropping even if the battery is not being used. If used every day, they will last no more than 2 years, more likely one year.

No Events found!