Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 13:00

Black screen

I have an Inspiron 6000. Last night the screen went to a reddish tint and then moments later went to black. Is this something as simple as replacing the video card (128mb ATI mobility radeon x300)? There have been "moments" when the screen has come back, so I know Windows is running, but then it quickly goes black again.

13 Posts

May 28th, 2009 13:00

Hi,

Sounds like the LCD screen back light is bad.  When they start going redish tint they are near the end of life and completely black or a flicker when first turned on is complete failure.  These are not very easy to replace if you have never done one before.  Usually a complete screen replacement is the way to go.  FYI a backlight is around $15-30 and a complete screen is $130-600 (check ebay first).  I should mention there is a slight chance the back light inverter (power supply) could also have some damage but if it is usually just the back light.  Your video card is fine, it is the lcd screen back light.  I have seen and repaired quite a few of these with failed or red screens.  Note: replacement of the back light usually runs around $90-150 from service centers that do replace them.

Good Luck,

Mark

2 Posts

May 29th, 2009 13:00

Hi Mark,

I also had a similar problem with my laptop screen as Henry only diff is there was no reddish tint at all....my screen just goes blank...no text...no video. I can hear the computer booting and its response when i click on the buttons. Just that nothing is displayed. Could it still be a backlight or inverter issue? If so i came across a website that explains how i can try fixing it....http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/01/31/replace-screen-inverter-fix-backlight/comment-page-30/

Just wanted to make sure cause i have a Dell XPS M1710 laptop and will try and work on fixing the problem on Monday.

Thanks

Flavian

13 Posts

May 29th, 2009 19:00

Hi Flavian,

If you shine a flashlight at the LCD screen and can see the dark image of the desktop or screens as it boots up the backlight or inverter are the most likely problem.  Usually a flashlight is enought to see the images and these prove the LCD and video card are functioning just no light to illuminate the display.  I run across more backlight CCFL bulbs bad than I do inverters bad but it is a 50/50 chance.  The link you found is a good basic inverter replacement if you Google a little on Dell LCD backlight how to replace backlight you will find many step by step directions on how to replace the inverter and bulbs.  If you have trouble locating directions I may have a link or document for a Dell 8600 I can send to you just PM me.  Note: not all screen turn rediah before the CCFL backlight bulb fails.  It is just like a very small flourescent tube lamp so they can dim, blink or just go black.  The redish tint is a dim bulb and is a early sign of a pending failure  Usually an iverter will just go black and never blink or flash due to shorted components.

Good luck,

Mark

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 15:00

Thanks. Waiting on my order to arrive but you were right it is the inverter. I'll try googling more step by step instructions as I wait for my stuff to arrive.

Cheers

Flavian

4 Posts

June 5th, 2009 16:00

I am having a similar problem. My computer, a Inspiron 1705E, a few months ago, showed lines through the screen then started flashing so I reinstalled Windows XP and it worked for a couple months. Then a few days ago, it had lines through it again and then the screen went black. Now you can hear the computer running but the screen is black. No Dell logo screen or anything. Is that also the backlight?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It does sound like the video card - but try an external monitor (NOT a TV) first -- as the card, while not hard to replace, is expensive - $200 or so for the low-end ATI card or $350-450 for the nVidia card.  All of them are proprietary parts.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If it is, there'll be a clear image on an external monitor.  More likely the external monitor display will also be faulty - in which case it's a failed video card.

4 Posts

I cannot see any kind of image using a flash light but you can hear the computer running when you turn it on. I tryed hooking it up to my tv screen to see if it was the monitor and still was unable to see any images. Does this sound like the video card then? Is it very hard to replace the video card?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 5th, 2009 17:00

Make sure you toggled the external display (use FN-F8 on most Dells).  If you still see nothing, and you're sure the system is running, this is the card:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/320-4779.html

4 Posts

June 5th, 2009 17:00

Well, I hooked it up to my Dell desktop monitor. The monitor stayed black the only thing that changed was the on/off switch on the monitor turned green then right away turned back to yellow. Otherwise, no picture or anything. :emotion-6: Any suggestions? I am almost positive the video card is the nVidia Ge Force, or something like that.

13 Posts

June 5th, 2009 20:00

You can also find these on EBay heres one for $244 free shipping buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-XPS-NVIDIA-Geforce-Go-7900GS-256MB-Video-Card-WOW_W0QQitemZ150349273670QQcmdZViewItem

Before you invest you might look at the Dell technical service support manuals on how to replace or upgrade video card on the laptop.  Remove and reinstall the same card to see if it is a possible bad connection.  I have run across cards that have lost connections and look like they failed but after reinstalling them they were perfectly fine.  You may not want to invest this into the system if you are at all considering a near future upgrade since this is a fair amount and may be better put into a new laptop.

Good Luck

No Events found!