Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2015 18:00

Blank Screen when put my N5110 into sleep

Hello!  So I have a prevalent issue I have been trying to fix for some time with my Dell laptop but I could never fix it.  Reason being I'm out of possible solutions and not to mention time is limited for me as a student. 

Anyways, in the beginning my laptop would not boot up at all.  It rang 4 beeps (which I understand is a RAM error).  I managed to fix that, by simply taking out on RAM stick after finding that the root of the issue was a single faulty RAM slot.  After finally managing to boot up the computer everything worked fine until I closed the lid to put it into sleep.  For some odd reason when I would go to close the lid, the computer LED indicator would still glow bright white, and the fans continued to "burr" :p, giving a good indicator that the computer remained on, but when I lifted the lid, there is nothing but a blank screen (display gave no feedback; display remained off). 

I could not do anything.  Power indicator was on and everything, but the display was off.  HHD activity indicator was also black.  No feedback from the HHD after the laptop goes into that "odd state". So I just left it on overnight (that or hard rebooting). 

When I woke up the computer was off (since the battery drained), and when I put in the charger the computer automatically started up (which if I am right does not happen tranditionally; again if Im right you would have to manually click the power button after putting in the charger).

The computer boots fine and shutsdown fine.  Its just, it remains unusable if the lid is closed or put into sleep mode through windows. 

UPDATE : So now when I try to shutdown this issue occurs then too.  And only that but when I revisited the BIOS and exited the computer took 10 sec + to close and reboot the computer.  Strange. 

P.S. : I have restored the OS 2 times already.

IF IT HELPS IN ANYWAY : lol I may have been messing with the BIOS while trying the diagnose the 4 beep issue earlier I am pretty sure I did not make any major changes (plus i reset the settings to default shortly afterwards).  And my mobo is flashed with the latest BIOS (checked last month).

Reply ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 19th, 2015 03:00

Hi sosolidj4tt,

I would suggest you to reinstall the Video card driver on the system to fix the issue with the sleep mode.

Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

13 Posts

March 19th, 2015 04:00

I have already reinstalled the video drivers last month when I reinstalled the OS (Win8.1).  It doesn't help.

13 Posts

March 20th, 2015 05:00

Any other suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 21st, 2015 11:00

Hi sosolidj4tt,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and in the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then AMD card driver (If system is configured with discrete video card) on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link above, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would suggest you to try flashing the BIOS on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link above, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section onto the system and install it.

13 Posts

March 30th, 2015 14:00

No this does not help.  And my computer is already flashed with the latest bios.

No Events found!