Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2017 09:00

Blinking Cursor on Black Screen, after Dell Logo - Hard Drive Self Test Unsuccessful.

Hi Friends,

I have an old Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 (purchased in 2012, which is out of warranty). It was working fine until few weeks earlier. Yesterday, when I switched it on, it shows the Dell logo; post which it shows a blinking cursor on a black screen. Though I waited for few mins thinking it would load Windows, it did not.

I had Win7 and recently upgraded to Win10. Also, I do not have a recovery disc; neither was provided with one from Dell during purchase.

Only options available for me are F2 and F12. I tried the following.
1. Removed all connected extenal components to the laptop. Removed and Reinserted the battery. Tried ON & OFF couple of times. No use.
2. Pressed F2 and changed the BIOS settings to boot from HD. No use.
3. Pressed F12 and ran the Diagnostics. Basic Test was successful. Thorough Test revealed the following

Error Code 2000-0142
Validation 7501
Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N 12*******, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7
The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Checked in Dell website with above info suggests me to replace the HD.

Is there any other suggestions from the forum for me to try?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

June 29th, 2017 01:00

Hi,

You can check on the below link for the recovery files for your system:

http://dell.to/1JsMeJg

or

http://dell.to/2iet5pi

However the error message indicates an issue with the hard driver and it would have to be replaced. You can try to re-install the operating system before replacing the hard drive.

If you have any other query, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 29th, 2017 06:00

The drive has indeed failed.

You need a new 2.5" SATA notebook drive.  The replacement of a hard drive in this model requires just about a complete tear-down of the system.

www.youtube.com/watch

No Events found!