Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2010 09:00

Blue Screen on Inspiron 1525 2 Yrs. Old

Hoping someone can help me here or at least point me in the right direction.

We have a just-under 2 year old Dell 1525 Inspiron laptop.  Been working fine, no problems.  This morning we got the blue screen of death.  We cannot boot in any mode, not safe mode, not from last good connection, nothing.  Took it to Best Buy's Geek Squad.  They pulled the hard drive and said it was fine.  The BB guy seemed to think it was the mother board.  wth??  This computer is used for internet, itunes and pics and that's it.  It never leaves the house.  How can the mother board break?  How do we find out if it is the mother board?  Is the only solution to pay the $60 fee to Dell and have them diagnose the problem?  How much are mother boards?  I don't even know where to look for this information.

Our daughter also has this same laptop, it is just over two years old and her battery will not charge (this problem happened when the computer was less than a year and a half old).  After doing some research she discovered that it is likely a mother board problem.  How do they sell something that they know has problems?  Does anyone know if there is a recall on this?  I looked and looked but found nothing on this, so I'm thinking not.

If anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 31st, 2010 10:00

If it gets as far as a Windows blue screen, it's almost certainly NOT the system board, but rather the hard drive.  Did they run the extended hard drive diagnostic (F12 at powerup, choose Dell Diagnostics, let the quick test run, then boot to the 32-bit diagnostics and run the extended (custom) hard drive test?

5.2K Posts

July 31st, 2010 10:00

For the "does not charge the battery" there are several potential problems. 

First, use the battery and charger from the other 1525. If everything is OK, then it's a problem with either the battery or the charger. replace on at a time to see which it is.

If the problem persists with the battery/charger swap, then it's probably the DC socket on the system board. They are prone to broken solder connection because of rough handling of the DC power cord. A replacement board or an attempt to fix the socket is expensive; up to $500. As long as the charger and  battery will power the unit on their own, a cheaper fix is an outboard charger for the battery.

5.2K Posts

July 31st, 2010 11:00

Addition/Correction:

The 1525 has a separate power board which can be replaced instead of the entire system board. It will still cost perhaps $200 to replace. The part will not be too expensive, but the labor charge to replace it is high, as just about the entire laptop needs to be disassembled to do the replacement.

July 31st, 2010 13:00

It wouldn't run on F12, it only got 'so far' then blue screen.  We couldn't get it to run any tests.  The guy at Best Buy simply removed the hard drive, stuck it into their computer and said 'your data is all there, it's not the hard drive, it's probably the mother board, get a new computer'.  Yeah, not too impressive, is it?   Luckily my husband didn't quite buy this answer so we started digging around.  I did a google search (on our desktop) on the actual error that came up on the blue screen and found this info (post #5).  I figured I'd post it in case someone else stumbled upon this thread and it could help them. 

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.pcp?t=69036

We followed the steps in this -- it took a few tries -- but it fixed the problem.   The problem was something within start up so that's what we selected for it to fix.  Took about an hour but it worked.  I guess something got corrupted,  no clue what, and that's what caused the problem.  It's like jumping through hoops to try and figure this stuff out.  We are not computer experts by any stretch of the imagination so we dig and dig on the internet until we (hopefully) find something that helps.

Thanks so much for your response.  I appreciate it!

July 31st, 2010 13:00

Her battery does not charge at all in her computer.  She can take it out, put it in our laptop and charge it to 100%, then put it back in to her computer.  I don't know if our battery in her computer will charge or not, never thought to do that but will to see if it is the computer or her battery. Excellent suggestion with the outboard charger for her battery if it turns out to be the pc.  Thanks!

She basically just has to always have the computer plugged in.   She even got a bigger battery so it would last longer in between charges because she's away at school and it's sometimes easier to work off the battery (different locations at school) rather than having it plugged in.

Thanks for responding to my post, I really appreciate it.

No Events found!