Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2017 21:00

Booting from USB

I have an Alienware 17 R4. I have no problems with it.

I have created a windows 10 Recovery USB drive (there is no optical media drive)  and would like to test this.

How do I boot using this.

I have a copy of Acronis backup and recovery software and would like to use this to recover in case something bad happens (i.e. hardware failure, ransomware attack etc.)

I can create the media.

I can press Esc while booting and select F12 to get to the boot menu but nothing I try seems to enable one to boot from my USB drive.

Are there any step by step directions I can use to accomplish this.

21 Posts

April 16th, 2017 18:00

For the Alienware 17 R4 (I have one as well), if your USB stick is not showing up in the F12 menu and you have not disabled USB booting for UEFI in the BIOS, then there is likely a problem with your USB stick.

I would suggest re-creating it using the Microsoft MCT located here:

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

If you continue to have problems I'd suggest the Alienware-specific forum here:

community.dell.com/.../forum

2 Posts

April 18th, 2017 00:00

Have created windows 10 recovery USB drive and Acronis 2017 recovery USB media.

Both boot ok.

Thanks for your help

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 16th, 2017 13:00

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the different Dell systems and their age/capabilities.

If it is a UEFI system, the USB must be formatted as FAT 32.  If you used some utility to create the USB drive, could you describe those.

I believe Acronis will create its own bootable media, but I don't use that utility.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 16th, 2017 13:00

It'll depend on the version of Acronis you used -- you need a minimum of Acronis 2016 for UEFI/Windows 10 support.  None of the earlier versions of Acronis support Windows 10.

You'll likely also need to turn OFF secure boot in UEFI setup to get the system to boot from the Acronis recovery media.

No Events found!