shillijf
1 Nickel

Bubbles in ATG Display

I have a Dell Latitude ATG D630 that is slowly loozing a fluid from the (very expensive) daylight readable display.  As it oozes out of the display, it leaves bubbles around the edges inside display.  This started with one small bubble and has now become much worse.

Does anyone know of a way to replace the fluid and restore the screen?  The screen otherwise is in perfect condition.  I'm sure it's out of warranty but sometimes there are silent recalls for issues such as this.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
philmay57
1 Copper

Re: Bubbles in ATG Display

I have exactly the same problem.  Started a month ago.  It seems that the displays on the ATG D630 system will not last more than about four years before springing a leak.  It is ironic that you pay a premium to get a ruggedized system (and lug around all that extra weight) and it is the ruggedization that is responsible for the failure of the system.

Looking round the web it seems that Dell are replacing some of the failing displays, but have not issued a full recall, despite this clearly being a manufacturing defect.  My warrantly expired in January and now I can't find any way to email Dell support.  Have you managed to contact them?

0 Kudos
shillijf
1 Nickel

No.  I've not tried because my system is also out of warranty.  It's not so bad an issue for me because I've attached a military grade external monitor now for the application (navigation computer on boat).  The laptop display is no longer the primary monitor.

I'll ask the IT guys at work (an exclusive Dell site) if they have an email address for such questions.

0 Kudos
shillijf
1 Nickel

Contacted them via chat.  Found the display is no longer available.  As a result, they can't do anything.  I tried to lead them down the road, but they didn't offer a discount on a new laptop.  You would think that they would offer a new one at or near cost because it's clearly a design flaw.  And they don't even carry replacement parts.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

A car dealer is not going to give you a new car at cost after having used the car for 5 years and you now find that the tires wear unevenly.  There are few manufacturers that have system Design Life Cycle of more than 5 years.

The Current ATG models are E series.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
shillijf
1 Nickel

Tires are a consumable that the owner expects to replace during the life of the car.  The laptop display is not a consumable.  It's also attached to what is supposed to be a rugged computer.

If your car had an electronic dash and it failed because of a design flaw one year after the warranty expired, you might expect the manufacturer to make good on the repair and own up to the fact that they made a poorly designed product.  If they cannot supply the replacement part, they might offer you a discount coupon towards the purchase of a new model car.  Happens all the time, you may just not be aware of it.  It's called a "Silent Recall".

Jim

0 Kudos
philmay57
1 Copper

My laptop failed after just over three years.  I am amazed that you compare what is either a design flaw or manufacturing defect with "worn tires".  But if you insist on the worn tyres analogy then please let me know where I can get a new set of tyres to get my car on the road again?  I don't think shillijf or I are looking for something for nothing here, but is is not reasonable to write a laptop off after only three years of use.

0 Kudos
ATG_user
1 Copper

I think it may be a defect due to high heat. The screen can just not handle the sun. On one of the hottest days so far this summer I noticed a bubble form at the top of my E6400 ATG touchscreen. It started that day as a slow leak and now it's just a bubble that sits at the top of the screen. I've gotten used to it so far but I'm concerned about health and a cascading effect now that the seal is breached. There are other complaints of this problem. You can read some of the comments at notebook-driver:

http://www.notebook-driver.com/fi/specs/dell-latitude-d630-atg-laptop-tech-specifications/#thecommen...

I'm not sure what we can do. Luckily for me I'm still under warranty. It is set to expire next spring. I might wait until the problem gets worse before reporting it. I don't know what Dell's policy will be on the replacement screen. Will it be another three years or does the warranty just expire at the same time as normal? If it's the same time I mind as well wait until right before my warranty expires before sending it in, if I can get that far.

Most of the used screens that are resold for the ATG have a bubble or bubbles and that's why I think it's a defect.

If anyone finds out more information please post it here, thanks.

0 Kudos
aaron-45
1 Copper

Does anyone know if this oozing fluid is toxic or contains a carcinogen?  I also am having this same problem.

0 Kudos
shillijf
1 Nickel

I don't know and am also interested so I can use an appropriate solvent to clean up the mess.  Maybe we should alert the EPA and have them ask Dell.

0 Kudos