Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2015 13:00

Bug Report: A03 bios for Dell XPS 13 (2015) causing keyboard repeating keypresses

This is an odd issue, which I thought I should bring to the attention of the Dell team somehow.

I installed the A03 bios for my XPS 13 a few days ago, when it was pushed out to my laptop. Immediately, I started to get the 'repeating keypresses' issue that a few people have reported. Button presses, especially to the spacebar, started to appear twice when the button was only pressed once. This was an intermittent issue - I'd roughly estimate it was one keypress in ten, if not less.

Surprised, I rolled back the bios to A02, then to A01, then to A00. Only on rolling back to A00 did the problem resolve itself. I'm currently running the A00 bios and the problem is gone. Which is fine, as I didn't have any complaints to begin with, but it's rather odd that a bios update breaks things rather than fixing them.

I'm aware this is probably not a widespread issue (otherwise I would have read more complaints about it) but I thought the team should be aware.

Many thanks. 

9 Posts

May 25th, 2015 10:00

I'm still having the same issues with A04. Not much change if any at all.

I don't understand how Dell could issue a fix that has no (or almost no) effect. Very disapointing.

For those looking for a patch solution, look for the autohotkey script posted earlier in this thread. Works good for me, I changed the debouncing timing to 100 ms.

29 Posts

May 25th, 2015 12:00

I'm getting good results. I typed for about 20 minutes straight and saw repeat keys maybe twice so it's much better. I also had a bug where the enhanced pointer precision box in mouse properties would uncheck itself when I cold booted this laptop. I've powered the laptop off then back on about 5 times and so far the box stays checked.

13 Posts

May 25th, 2015 20:00

I purchased a Dell XPS 13 (Developer Edition). It was shipped to me with BIOS A03. I too experience the stuck key issue. I'm not the only person experiencing this issue. How did this get through QA?

13 Posts

May 26th, 2015 10:00

I updated to A04 this morning and so far I have not see the stuck key behavior. However, the fact that Dell let this get to customers the first time does not fill me with confidence. I will post again if I see it.

9 Posts

May 26th, 2015 10:00

A04 fixed it for me.

June 2nd, 2015 00:00

My experience: Very significant stuck key issue which was significantly reduced moving from A03 to A04 - so software issue right? Well no, because my replacement laptop arrived (with A03) and this issue is not there at all - not one single double key so far. So it looks like a combination of both hardware and software.

May or may not be relevant: Touchpad and lower part of keyboard were slightly rattly / springy on my first unit - the replacement is much more solid. May be a factor as for me space bar was the worst.

HTH

1 Message

June 2nd, 2015 12:00

I just bought the XPS 13 9343 with Ubuntu pre-installed and I have similar problems. The BIOS is A03. It seems that sometimes it misses a key event. If it misses a key-down you have a missing character, if it misses a key-up event you have repeated characters until another key is pressed. The same happens with the track pad. Occasionally misses a series of motion events and freezes for a sec or two and then the pointer jumps to where it should have been if it did not miss the motion events.

9 Posts

June 9th, 2015 09:00

I take back my last post. I'm still getting double keypresses like crazy on A04, especially C and space. Six corrections in this post alone. 

6 Posts

June 28th, 2015 12:00

Be aware that the problem can return. I sent mine back for a replacement and it was good for a month or so but this week the new laptop started making repeated keys too! I've just updated to A04 so hopefully that will improve it. However it makes me worry that the issue may start up again after 6 months or a year or two when the guarantee has expired.

Also FYI official recognition of the problem from Dell www.dell.com/.../EN

1 Message

July 20th, 2015 15:00

Here's a fix by Dell (fixing keyboard characters occasionally getting stuck): 

www.dell.com/.../EN

It seems to have fixed it for me!

1 Message

September 11th, 2015 04:00

Same problem mostly with n and space bar but always tried telling myself it must just be me until findinng this!

9 Posts

September 11th, 2015 07:00

Problem (finally) fixed for me after upgrading to bios A05!  

A02 and A04 were supposed to fix it but didn't work on my computer, but looks like A05 nailed it!

good luck.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2016 10:00

See the message below please. It has the fix which -regardless of the BIOS- fixes the problem for me.

It's Windows only (no Linux) but if you are a Linuxy guy, you can take the idea and code it for nx also!

Good luck guys!

2 Posts

June 28th, 2016 12:00

Hey! I had the same problem in the past with my Sony Vaio Z Series and developed a fix for it, here you can get it: https://goo.gl/C3jdfs

If you have any questions let me know. I've updated the fix today so it filters a bit better than with my old Vaio. In this new Dell I realized the bounce is so big that it sometimes the a key may be repeated even after I press a new one. In other words, I want to write "hello", this might happen:

hehllo <-- The "h" was repeated *even* after my keydown on the e.

So, the fix (see the asm source in the zip file) contemplates also that. I'm using it and it's working well. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Magic.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2016 14:00

I experience exactly the same character repeat issue on a Dell XPS 15. For XPS 13 a Bios update seems to solve the problem, but what about XPS 15?

No Events found!