Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2010 14:00

C: Drive Space

In April of 2010 I purchased a Inspiron 1564.  Hard Drive is 500G total.  When I received the product had a C: drive of 50G and D: drive of 450G.  (Numbers for hard drive space is general and not the true amount but will work for the situation.)  As I install various programs and software the C: drive space is at 4.5G remaining.  I have searched several different website, including Dell's, with no luck on moving some of the D: drive space over to the C: drive.  I have backups in place in case the system crashed due to lack of space or some other reason. 

Can someone please give me detailed instructions to move hard drive space from drive to drive. 

Thanks in advanced.

5.2K Posts

September 28th, 2010 15:00

You are supposed to be installing programs and storing data on the D: drive. This has changed recently for most Dell's. The advantage is that if you have to reinstall to OS in the C: drive, you do not lose all your programs and data residing on the D: drive.

3 Posts

September 29th, 2010 14:00

Ki, thanks for the reply and info.  I did not know that. 

Followup question:  Can I safety move the programs on the C: drive to the D: drive?  Drag and drop type of thing or uninstall/reinstall? 

Thanks again!

5.2K Posts

September 29th, 2010 15:00

If you haven't installed too much in C:, you could leave them there and start installing new programs in D:. You can not drag-and-drop. However, I think there are programs out there that will allow a transfer from one drive to another. Search the web. Any data you have, pictures, etc. Can be moved to D: in the appropriate folders. If you leave programs in C:, you would need to change the target directory for each of the programs affected so they know where to find things.

3 Posts

October 1st, 2010 13:00

Thanks KirkD for the advice.  I'll try and move a few folders around this weekend and see how it goes.  My issue now is the C: drive does not have enough space left to install updates for Win7. 

I'll post on Monday, 10/4, and let ya know how it went.

Thanks again for the help and assistance.

5.2K Posts

October 1st, 2010 16:00

That's the way it's being done nows. If everything is on the C: drive and you need to reinstall the OS, then all programs you have installed need to be reinstalled and all data is lost unless it has been backed up. When you dedicate a partition just to the OS, the re-installation finishes and all your stuff is still there. Turns a 2 day installation to about an hour or so.

281 Posts

October 1st, 2010 20:00

:emotion-2: how do you install programs pictures and etc. to the d drive?

5.2K Posts

October 1st, 2010 21:00

Just copy/move them to an appropriate directory in D:. I don't have a newer PC, so I don't know if the Windows installation puts the normal directory structure for user files in the C: or D: drives. Your manual should describe how to handle program installations and data directories.

67 Posts

October 1st, 2010 21:00

SanDavis,

Your question tells us that you are very unfamiliar with how Windows works. I strongly urge that you get an introductory book like O'Reilly's _ Windows 7: The Missing Manual_  or _Windows 7 for Dummies_. There are other equivalent titles available. After that, you can graduate to something like _Windows 7 Secrets_  or  _Windows 7 Annoyances_, which go into more esoteric details.

Some background, though:

In general, you cannot drag and drop programs. There are entries in the registry which won't be updated when you do that. You usually have to use the Control Panel to uninstall them, and then use their CDs to reinstall them in the right places.

When you run a program installer, one of the first things it does is ask you where you want to install the program. Instead of just clicking on the Next button, specify the drive (D:) and folder where you want it to go. You can either type it in or use the Browse... button. The easiest thing is just to replace the default C: by D:.

Pictures, spreadsheet, .doc, text, and other types of data files aren't "installed". You can simply drag and drop them wherever you want. (They probably should be put into folders that you've created which have names related to what the files are about.) By default, dragging from one drive (C:) to another drive (D:) does a copy operation, leaving the original where it was to begin with. You want to do a "move" operation, which deletes the original file after the copy has been done. You can either use the right-mouse-button to drag the file (it'll ask if you want to do a copy, move or other things), or you can manually delete the files afterward.

Please note that I have not specified all the details involved in doing this. You really need to read the manuals and understand the steps of what has to be done.

You might consider hiring someone to do it for you. That won't be cheap, though, and you might have private stuff on your computer that you don't want others to see.

No Events found!