Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2017 02:00

CPU 100% busy

Hi, my laptop is a dell Precision M6600 with Nvidia quadro 4000m and 16GB Ram. Since one month now I have a problem with the CPU that after a while start to work at 90%-100%, even without any program active. Then it start to freeze or working very very slowly. Naturally I checked processes, virus, and finally I re-formatted the HD. No way, the problem comes back again. So I started to think to a HW problem: MOBO, video card, RAM. The Dell diagnostic online finds every thing ok, but the battery. 

Indeed the battery is out of his lifetime since long time and I get always the message to replace it. 

Now,  what I discovered, and I 'm asking help and an explanation for it, is that during the CPU 100% busy the icon of the power, on the right lower side of the display, it change: from plugged in/charging   to  battery with a cross. Then, if I unplug and re-plug the power supply it go back again to  plugged in/charging and CPU return to work fine.

Don't tell me that I have to just to replace the battery becouse it should work fine eben without it.

Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2017 09:00

Has the system ever had a thorough clean-out of dust and a clean out/reapplication of the thermal transfer compound that helps transfer heat from the CPU and GPU to the heatsinks?  If not, the system may be running abnormally warm, causing the CPU to throttle back -- which often results in 100% CPU usage.

Is/are the fan(s) running properly?

3 Posts

February 26th, 2017 09:00

Temperature are ok as from diagnostic. The problem has to do somehow with power malfunctioning, but I don't know why and how get rid of it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2017 10:00

Does the system correctly sense the AC adapter, or is it showing "unknown"?  F2 at powerup to check.

3 Posts

February 27th, 2017 05:00

the ePSA test find a  240W ACadapter. I wander if the power issue is the cause or just an effect of the CPU 100% busy problem.

I restarted the computer without the battery and it  switch off  when the CPU start to overrun 90-100%. The issue comes after working in multitasking or Skype conference with 3 or more people connected, or some HD videopalyer, no problem during  you tube video player.

No Events found!