Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2010 08:00

CPU Upgrade woes on my Inspiron 6400 - HELP!

So I got myself an Intel T7600 processor - tried to install it in my laptop. Re-assembled everything and tried to boot up the laptop. The laptop starts briefly for about 3-4 seconds (LEDs light up), and it dies. Tried to start many times but no luck.

Disassembled everything, checked my CPU orientation to see if I installed wrongly. It was correct (triangle to triangle). Re-assembled everything, tried to start. No luck.

I put in back my old CPU, and the laptop works fine. I am on the latest BIOS (A17).

What did I do wrong? Did I just own myself? PLEASE help me, anyone!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 09:00

Make sure the CPU is a genuine T7600 -- not an engineering sample (which will be marked ES).  These won't work.

5.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 09:00

The T7600 is compatible with the 6400. Where did you get it? I would return it and look for a different supplier.

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 10:00

I bought it from eBay; according to the vendor it's the retail version (boxed in what seems to be a legit Intel product).

If it's a DOA - any way I  could test it? I don't want to return to the buyer unless I know that it's really faulty.....

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 10:00

Is there any indication on the packaging or the chip that suggests that it's an ES?

Packaging has the usual barcodes - I see a "S-SPEC: SL9SD' written there too

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 17:00

12 Posts

August 5th, 2010 05:00

Guess nobody has an answer - well... I decided to re-install the T7600 again and again. It works now!

I dont know if the reflashing of bios did the trick..... I really dont know what made it work now.

For all you 6400 / e1505 owners - the T7600 really works. So does adding 2 x 2GB of PC26400 RAM :emotion-2:

11 Posts

February 11th, 2011 13:00

Guess nobody has an answer - well... I decided to re-install the T7600 again and again. It works now!

I dont know if the reflashing of bios did the trick..... I really dont know what made it work now.

For all you 6400 / e1505 owners - the T7600 really works. So does adding 2 x 2GB of PC26400 RAM :emotion-2:

It helps me out of the problem, Thanks for your explanation!

1 Message

January 30th, 2012 05:00

Did you notice an increase of the speed with that processor?

I have the same laptop and I upgraded RAM with 4 Gb, but I was afraid that processor wouldn't do what I expected for.

12 Posts

January 30th, 2012 06:00

It depends on what processor you were upgrading from; the lower performing your original processor was, the more obvious the increase in performance. Why don't you try downloading i8kfangui and monitor your current CPU load under the conditions you usually subject your laptop to? If at any time your CPU processes is at 100%, there is a bottleneck and you should upgrade your processor. And when upgrading, I suggest going for the best, since youre going to upgrade anyway.

If you want noticeable increase in performance, I suggest upgrading your HDD to an SSD first (if you have not done so). But the price of an SSD might put you off, and considering prices of decent laptops now, it might be hard to justify the cost (unless your laptop has sentimental value).

February 20th, 2014 13:00

I had a similar problem (with an Inspiron 1520 / Vostro 1500) - the problem was that the heat sink wasn't perfectly flush against the CPU, causing the CPU to overheat and trigger a shutdown.  I reseated the CPU using slightly more thermal paste than I usually like and higher torque on the screws, and everything was fine after that (though the right way to do this is with copper shims).

No Events found!