Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2015 09:00

Can I install a Vostro HDD into an E5510?

Two days ago I spilled coffee (whole mug and lots of sugar...) onto my running Vostro 1520. No sparks and it turned off when I pressed the On/Off button. Quickly removed the battery also. So, I hope the HDD may be ok. I need to get a couple of weeks data and email backed up to an external drive I use (WD My Passport).

I'll be receiving an E-5510 shortly. Can I install the Vostro drive into the E-5510? I suspect there may be some configuration issues with graphics, network & etc. If so, would it be possible to startup in safe mode to at least get my data?

July 25th, 2015 12:00

Hi quakerweb,

Sorry to hear about your system. If you are able to turn on the system, then you can definitely try backing up the files and data. If it doesn't get to the Windows, you can try safemode with networking. You can also convert the internal Harddrive to an external one by purchasing a converter from any local or online store. To convert the internal Harddrive to an external one, so that it will be changed from SATA to USB. You can contact a local technician if you need assistance on that.

2 Posts

July 25th, 2015 15:00

Hi Promila,

Thanks very much for your response.

I have an enclosure and tried it. The drive did survive and I was able to move the data. The email was MS Mail and so I had to go through a convoluted process of loading Vista on an old DELL, set-up MS Mail, import the old email (the procedures for this are arcane at best...) then export to a .pst file to import to Outlook! I shouldn't complain though, I got my data...

No Events found!