Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2016 20:00

Can i upgrade e6430 video card

I have a latitude e6430 laptop and i need to upgrade the video card. I want to know if i can upgrade and if not is there a way for it to share memory? In the bios it says 64M...You sure this laptop was made in 2012?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 21st, 2016 05:00

Your system uses Intel video, where there is no dedicated video RAM -- the GPU uses system memory.  The 64M is a frame buffer - not the video RAM.  If you're seeing an application that detects only the frame buffer, the application likely needs dedicated video RAM that your system doesn't have -- and no, you can't upgrade the GPU.  You will need a system with a dedicated GPU to run the application.

October 28th, 2016 19:00

No and yes.  It is uncanny but there are ways around it.  I am not too sure if this item will work for you but it will get you in the right direction.

www.ebay.com/.../222173937192

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 29th, 2016 05:00

Even if that's possible - and most system no longer have external expresscard slots, so it's likely not an option -- by the time you do that and buy the external monitor and card, you may as well buy a mid-range desktop system.  You'll get better performance and spend no more.

No Events found!