Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2017 17:00

Can't Install Windows 10 UEFI on XPS 13

Hi,

I'm currently running Ubuntu 16.04.2 on my Dell XPS 13 9350. I originally bought the laptop with Windows 10 installed and dual booted Ubuntu. Now Ubuntu works fine but for some reason every time I run the Windows Boot Manager, I get a blue screen error code. So I figure I would just try and re install Windows 10. I have a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise as an ISO image, and I used the Rufus tool to format my USB as FAT32, partition as GPT, and make a boot-able drive. When I restart my laptop, though, and hit F12 to go the one-time boot menu, I don't see the USB drive there.

If I use NTFS, partition as MBR, and switch on legacy boots in my BIOS, I can see the USB drive, but clicking it gives me "Selected Boot Device Failed." Either way, though, I want to install the UEFI version since my Linux is UEFI. Is there any more information I can provide for help?

Update: It turns out the issue was that my original Windows install had the SATA connection option as "Raid On". When I swapped it to AHCI for Linux, it no longer saw my Windows installation. The problem was fixed by reinstalling Windows using the Dell Support tools with my BIOS set to AHCI.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 27th, 2017 23:00

First question, if the system came with Win 10 installed, why are you using an Enterprise version?

Second question, on what type of drive do you have the OS installed?  Windows 10 will only install as UEFI on a GPT configured DRIVE...  Is the Ubuntu install still present and was it a UEFI install?

5 Posts

March 28th, 2017 07:00

I can't boot into Windows without an error anymore, so I figured I'd do a fresh install of Win10. I have a copy of Enterprise so that's why I was using that. Should I be trying to install some kind of recovery thing for my original Windows 10 that was pre-installed?

Ubuntu still works and it was a UEFI install. I used Rufus to configure my USB as GPT. When I did this, the drive does not show up under UEFI boot devices. But under legacy boot devices it still shows up for some reaso. If I click that option under legacy it says Selected boot device failed.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 28th, 2017 08:00

I don't use Rufus, just the Diskpart commands.  Once I have a bootable flash drive I can change the files on it to boot things such as another Win 10 build version, without having to redo the whole drive.

Anyway, you system should have seen the Flash drive if you had copied over the Windows files from the mounted .iso.

If you use the media creation tool, I suggest you download an .iso since copying the files directly to a flash drive can be very slow.  Make sure what bit version you have and don't use the Windows 10 Home single language option.

Does the Dell download have an OS image available for that system?  

5 Posts

Ok I'll try using the media creation tool.

Yeah when you choose gpt with Rufus you have to configure the drive as FAT32

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Windows 10 can be installed cleanly on a system which had been previously activated.  You can download the install media using the Media Creation Tool.

There may be an image on the support site for that system which you could use but it may want to reconfigure the entire drive, not sure.

USB drives are FAT32 for UEFI.  

5 Posts

What do you mean by that? Are you askin if Dell has an iso image of Windows 10 for the xps13?

5 Posts

March 28th, 2017 09:00

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Go to the link and tell it what you want to do for software reinstall.  It should tell you which media you need.

There is an operating system file for download but you may need a current install to use it directly.

www.dell.com/.../diagnose

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Yes, most systems which came with Win 10 installed will offer a downloadable recovery image...  

Which XPS 13 do you have?

No Events found!