Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2014 18:00

Can't Wake new Inspiron 11-3147 from Sleep with Keyboard/Touchpad

My laptop goes to sleep correctly but will wake up only if the power button is pressed; the keyboard and touchpad will not wake it up. It is a new 11-3147 2-in-1 convertible laptop with a 360-degree hinge that folds into a tablet configuration.

Spent over an hour with Dell Tech Support remotely accessing my laptop, but two levels of support could not fix the problem. I had very little loaded on the PC, so we tried a factory reset which was not a fix. Problem existed in both "fresh from factory" condition and with all updates installed. Tech Support said that the laptop should wake up with keyboard/touchpad, not just with power button, but they didn't know what else to try.

I went back to the Office Depot where I bought the 11-3147 and tried the display unit; it acted the same as mine and needed the power button to wake up.

While at the store, I tested several HP laptops; they all woke from sleep with the keyboard/touchpad or power button. Two Toshiba's were just like the Dell and needed the power button to wake-up. Another Dell 2-in-1 with the same 360-degree hinge in the 13-7000 series worked fine; woke-up with keyboard/touchpad or power button.

Totally stumped. Has anyone had this problem and was able to get it fixed?  Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Marty

30 Posts

November 19th, 2014 02:00

To resolve the issue, you can try the steps below:

A) To enable your touchpad to wake up your computer from Sleep Mode:
1. Go to Device Manager. To know how to do this, you can refer to the following links:
For Windows 7/ Vista users:
windows.microsoft.com/.../open-device-manager
For Windows 8.1 users:
windows.microsoft.com/.../where-is-device-manager
2. From the list of devices on the right side of the Device Manager window, navigate to "Mice and other pointing devices" and expand the category.
3. Select your mouse.
4. In the window that opens, go to "Power Management" tab.
5. Now, uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and check the option "Allow this device to wake the computer".

B) To enable your keyboard to wake up your computer from Sleep Mode:
1. Go to Device Manager. To know how to do this, you can refer to the following links:
For Windows 7/ Vista users:
windows.microsoft.com/.../open-device-manager
For Windows 8.1 users:
windows.microsoft.com/.../where-is-device-manager
2. From the list of devices on the right side of the Device Manager window, navigate to "Keyboards" and expand the category.
3. Select your keyboard.
4. In the window that opens, go to "Power Management" tab.
5. Now, uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and check the option "Allow this device to wake the computer".
Now see if the issue is resolved.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 00:00

I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it !

7 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 13:00

ZIZO83,

I wish you better luck than I've had!  I tried several forums and user groups and finally gave up!  I still have to use the power button to wake my Dell from sleep. :emotion-6:

In the "for what it's worth" department:

My HP laptop has a fingerprint scanner that worked for a few months and then "died".  Last week,  I updated it from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (free update) ... and the scanner works again!  Many device drivers were updated when I switched to Win-10.

So ... it is possibe that a device driver is causing the Dell wake-up problem. However, after test-driving Win-10 for a week, I probably won't be upgrading my Dell from Win-8 to Win-10 anytime soon. 

371 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 19:00

are we talking window 10? has it always done that? and does it shut down correctly? meaning ur battery doesnt drain down or anything?

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 20:00

It's windows 10. And it happens even if I close the lid and still connected to the power supply.

7 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 21:00

It's windows 10. And it happens even if I close the lid and still connected to the power supply.

Thanks for the info. You stopped me from wasting any more time on a lost cause.

371 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 05:00

3542 laptop running windows 10 upgrade

this is a copy of the post i answered from some one else, had the same problem..
my problem was from the Intel Rapid Storage ,
yes Martinkit, that is exactly what happened to my laptop, the same as what u experienced with the power problem.
as i said in post
go to Control Panel
on bottom left side, click uninstall program
there are 3 programs to uninstall
Intel rapid storage (i think it will say, have to stop program first before uninstall - click yes) and think it asks to restart system, just go ahead and click yes)
intel management - something or other (cant remember the exact name, but its the only one titled like that)
intel security assist - (also cant remember the exact name - but the only one with a name like that)
on my laptop 3542 , after uninstalling those 3 program there is only one program left made by intel and that is the graphics , obviously , u do NOT want to uninstall that

No Events found!