January 2nd, 2012 17:00

Can't type Alt codes Help!

Hello,

My brother has a dell laptop:

Dell Inspiron n3040

HDD 320 GB

Processor i5

512 VGA

When he tries to type an alt code, Windows can't do it.

For example: Alt + 0158 (ž)

When he presses Alt and then presses the numbers keys at the top of the keyboard, he hears sound coming from Windows and just doesn't type in the alt code.

Is there an alternative way for that?

Thanks

934 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 13:00

My inspiron 1545 keyboard layout has the same "problem" : no numkey,no additional numpad.

As a workaround one can use:

>the  "character map" => click START button,type charmap,press ENTER and choose from the table

or

>download "autohotkey.exe" - install it

http://www.autohotkey.com/

after installing right click on the desktop - choose "New" from the menu and create a new "Autohotkey script"

Right click the new (almost)empty script choose EDIT script and add the following lines at the very end.

0::numpad0

1::numpad1

2::numpad2

3::numpad3

4::numpad4

5::numpad5

6::numpad6

7::numpad7

8::numpad8

9::numpad9

save the file,double click the file and try it........

Note:While the script is running you don't have access to the signs above the standard numbers => !,",£,$%^&*()

If you need them again just exit the script.....you may use autohotkey to create a better script than mine-it's just an idea.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 18:00

I believe that you can't use the numbers at the top of the keyboard; you need to use the numbers in the keypad.  If you don't have a separate keypad, like on my M6300, the numbers keypad is in blue and shared with the other keys. So, you need to make sure Num Lk is on, then hold down Alt + Fn keys with your left hand and type m + j + i + 8 in sequence with your right hand for ž.

253 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 18:00

He checked his keyboard, he doesn't have a Num Lock...

I told him to use a USB external keyboard, but he said that his laptop has a problem...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 06:00

It should have a numlock on most Dell laptops you needed to have the numlock on and you needed to use the number square to the far right, so the fn key and the keys with the blue numbers. On some of the wider keyboards, there is a dedicated number triangle.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 06:00

No, Num Lock?

Oh, well, if he says so.

1 Message

April 17th, 2017 11:00

Autohotkey is just a perfect solution!

BTW, there is my file (based on https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/119136-trying-to-emulate-numpad-with-capslock-toggle/)

How it works:

• CapsLock: toggle NumPad mode
  • keys: m jkl uio 789
  • produce: 0 123 456 789

So, no need to unload script, just hit CapsLock to toggle NumPad mode

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

;======================================
;NumPad-CODE
;remapping "normal" number keys to make them 
;behave like numpad numbers

#If GetKeyState("CapsLock","T")

m::Numpad0
j::Numpad1
k::Numpad2
l::Numpad3
u::Numpad4
i::Numpad5
o::Numpad6