Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 4th, 2012 20:00

Can't wipe Inspiron mini 910 Netbook Stec 16GB ssd drive

I have a Dell mini 910 with a Stec 16GB ssd hard drive.

The Bios shows the drive as Stec Pata 16GB (PM)  HHD Size 15408MB

I can install windows but when the installer restarts the instalation to finish, it just starts the instalation again.

If I remove the windows cd when it restarts and choose the hard drive the installer is gone.

I have tried Ubuntu DiskPart and it wipes the drive but won't erase the hidden partition.

I have booted with Parted Magic and it wipes the drive but won't erase the hidden partition.

Nothing will wipe the hidden partition.

I don't think the problem is the drive, I think the problem is the hidden partition won't allow an operating system to be installed.

September 4th, 2012 22:00

Is that your primary drive? You should better get a much larger SSD so it will be better to use.

953 Posts

September 5th, 2012 01:00

Hi bayawan,

I understand the issue you are facing. However, I would like to know the version of windows operating system you are trying to install on this machine?

64 Posts

September 5th, 2012 08:00

Yes this is my primary drive, but not my primary computer.

I want to find out what the problem is with this ssd drive and it's hidden partition.

As I mentioned I have tried these operating systems:

1. Windows XP Home

2. Windows XP Pro

3. Windows 7

When I get to the format stage Windows does show the hidden partition but wont delete the hidden partition.

They all install until the installer reboots then it restarts the instalation. If I remove the cd at that stage and set the boot for the hard drive then the "operating system not found" message appears.

4. Ubuntu live cd will boot and show the Ubuntu desktop but after installing Ubuntu and rebooti

953 Posts

September 6th, 2012 04:00

Hi bayawan,

The supported operating systems for this system model are:

1. Linux Ubuntu 8.04
  2. Microsoft Windows XP SP3 32 Bit

In order to install Windows 7 you need to have 16 GB available hard disk space (for 32-bit) or 20 GB (for 64-bit). For more details you can check the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/system-requirements

You have an SSD of 16 GB available in the machine. From the available space that you have mentioned, it seems the Hard Drive is reporting the correct size. It is showing as less because the hard drive manufacturers define for their drives a GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, where most operating systems define a GB as 230=1073741824 (1024 bytes = 1 KB, 1024 KB = 1 MB, 1024 MB = 1 GB). So you lose about 2.34% from the advertised 16 GB.

Kindly revert and let me know for further clarifications.

64 Posts

September 6th, 2012 21:00

I bought another Dell Mini 910 off ebay and installed the 16GB in it and it installed XP Home with no problems.

So it looks like the problem was with maybe the mini slot and not with the ss drive itself.

953 Posts

September 7th, 2012 03:00

Hi bayawan,

As you have identified that the slot for SSD is bad, this slot is integrated on the motherboard. This will need a replacement of the entire motherboard. To assist you better request you to private message me your system service tag number. To private message accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

No Events found!