Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2012 16:00

Cannot boot M6500 after replacing primary HDD.

I have a Precision M6500 with dual SSD's. In the HD0 slot is a 128GB and in the HD1 slot is a 256GB.  I bought a 750GB Hybrid HDD and want to replace the 128 GB SSD in the system.  My plan was this.  Swap out the 128 with the 750GB, use UBCD to boot from the optical drive, and clone the secondary drive.  Then put the 128GB back int he system, once again boot with UBCD, and clone the C: drive to the now not needed old D: drive.  But I never even got to the second step.  I replaced the 128GB SSD with the 750 GB Hybrid, and the computer won't boot to anything. I can't even get it to go to BIOS to recognize the new drive.  If I take out the 750GB, put the 128GB back into the system, everything works fine. I can boot to the UBCD disk, I can go to BIOS, I can even boot right back into Windows.  I tested the new 750GB drive to make sure it was good by putting it into both the disk caddy that fits into the optical bay, and by putting it into a USB external case.

Is there something I need to do to get the M6500 to forget about the primary SSD and re-check the HDD configuration?  Do I have to take it off of "Minimal Post" checking? Or do I need to reset everything to defaults?  It shouldn't be this hard to replace a disk..

Anyone else do this?

Thanks!

1 Message

April 28th, 2016 21:00

I'm having the same problem. I have no idea what is going wrong. Wish I could help. I can't believe Dell has made this such a pain in the a*$. I guess its time to resell this piece of junk and go buy a working laptop. Dell has not posted any helpful information as to why this is happening or what is wrong, no useful information on forums anywhere. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 29th, 2016 04:00

When you clone a drive, you need to make sure to shut down immediately after cloning, and boot the system with ONLY the new drive in the system - NOT the original drive.  

Once you've done that you can add the other drive back to the system, but the first boot MUST be with only the intended boot drive in the system.

17 Posts

April 30th, 2016 09:00

I have an M6500. lastnight I cloned to an sshd from a hdd. I then swapped their position in system. went control panel and verified both seen by system. then formatted hdd to use for storage and such until I get anew ssd or sshd. all this was quick and easy via Seagate disk wizard. I tried a month ago on an asus machine with acronis true mirro and had to send it back to mfgr.

I also installed 32gb ram. system is faster with every boot. load all updates and firmware in about 12 hours. started at bios o4 now have bios 10. so far all is well. running win 7 p/64.

hope this helps.

No Events found!