Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2011 07:00

Cannot connect blackberry to Bluetooth on Inspiron 1720 Vista

I have never been able to get any phone to connect to my laptop.  I'm now trying again.  The driver is not listed anywhere so I am unable to uninstall it.  In the bluetooth properties under the hardware tab, nothing is listed.  When I try and install the driver, it says I have to uninstall it first, yet there is no where to install it.

I have had it working where I can setup the laptop to be connected to, but everytime I try and connect a device, it fails.

Has anyone ever gotten this thing to work?  How do I uninstall a driver that doesn't exist?

4 Posts

June 15th, 2011 08:00

I finally got the bluetooth driver working.  Now I'm back to my original issue that I've never been able to fix.  I put my phone on discoverable, search, finds my laptop, enter a password, my laptop says "a bluetooth device is requesting to connect to you.  To allow this connection, click this message."  I do.  Nothing happens.  Nothing gets added.  So very annoying!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 15th, 2011 10:00

Luvsql

The problem here is that we don’t know if this is a problem with the phone software or with Bluetooth.  If you have not tried already, I suggest trying another Bluetooth device such as a mouse or keyboard, just to verify if Bluetooth is working at all.

Assuming that Bluetooth on the notebook is in fact working correctly, I suggest contacting the manufacturer of the phones that you are using and make sure that you have their latest software and drivers.

One thing that concerns be about this is if  you have tried more than one phone the software of the different phones could be conflicting with each other.  Decide which phone that you are going, if it is the Blackberry or some other phone, to use primarily with system.  Remove all the phone software that you have installed on the notebook then reinstall the software for the primary phone.

Please let me know what you find out, If no Bluetooth devices work with the notebook, or if it does seem to be a problem with phones only, and what model the phone is if the problem continues.

TB

4 Posts

June 15th, 2011 11:00

I have tried 2 different blackberries, an LG touch and a Nokia.  Each behaves the same way.  None of these phones have issues connecting to any other bluetooth devices like headsets.  

I don't have any LG or Nokia software on my laptop at all (the bluetooth connection doesn't require extra software) so I'm not sure how the Blackberry Desktop manager software could cause the issue?

No phones will connect to my laptop. The laptop sees it as the notificaiton pops up so there is communication working.  The phones that won't connect to my laptop do connect to bluetooth headsets so they're not the issue.  The clear issue seems to be either Vista or the Bluetooth on the laptop (Dell).

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 15th, 2011 14:00

Here is a basic Bluetooth troubleshooter

global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_356977&isLegacy=true

This is what it reads for instructions connecting a Bluetooth device

Make sure the following conditions have been met:

• Fresh batteries are installed in the other Bluetooth device.

• The Dell Wireless Bluetooth adapter is installed in the computer.

• The latest driver for the Bluetooth adapter is installed, if unsure refer to Dell Knowledge Base Article:

"How to Download and Install a Driver"

• The Bluetooth device you are going to pair is within 30 feet (10 meters) of the computer.

Right-click the Bluetooth icon in the lower-right corner of the computer screen.

Click Add a Device.

Put the Bluetooth device in discovery mode. Discovery mode allows the device to be found by your computer and is usually, but not always indicated by a blinking blue LED on the device

From your post it looks like the notebook is seeing the phones.  Have you received any indication that the phones are actually pairing with the notebook?  Have you tried any other devices other than the phones with the notebook?

TB

4 Posts

June 30th, 2011 12:00

I just tried another phone and it also will not connect to my laptop.  It first asks to enter numeric passkey for the connection, so I just try 0000 as I have never assigned a specific passkey to my laptop.  The laptop shows a message that a device is trying to connect, I click on it to allow, then nothing happens again as usual. 

No Events found!