Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2015 20:00

Cannot connect to Internet after system recovery

I had to use the red recovery disk to restore my system after my Vostro 3700 would not boot to Windows 7 professional.

The recovery was successful, but I do not have wi-fi. The wi-fi light stays off, and in device manager I have several items with yellow triangles. Though, there are no items identified as Network Adapter.

Not very satisfactory.

How do I get my wireless working again? 

September 5th, 2015 21:00

Hi, 

Please send us a screenshot of device manager. 

Install the wireless drivers. 

How about the LAN connection??

Make sure the wireless is turned on.

Regards

17 Posts

September 6th, 2015 09:00

>>>Please send us a screenshot of device manager. 

>>>Install the wireless drivers. 

I do not know how. Why didn't the full system recovery do this properly?

>>>How about the LAN connection??

No connectivity at all. I have not tried a wired connection, because I have no idea where my cable is.

>>>Make sure the wireless is turned on.

This is my problem, I cannot turn the wireless on. Though ... device manager seems to be saying I have no network adapters... The bios says that wireless is enabled,

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2015 10:00

You've done a manual install of Windows.  You now need to use a system that has an Internet connection to download three things:

The Intel chipset driver

The wired network driver

The wireless driver (you'll need to either remove the base cover to check to see which model card you have OR use the Original Configuration list at support.dell.com -- use your service tag to look up the model of wireless card you have).

Once those are installed, you can go online and get the rest of the required drivers (and be prepared for several hours worth of Windows updates thereafter).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2015 14:00

support.dell.com

The second one is the one you need to get the system onto the Internet.

17 Posts

September 6th, 2015 14:00

Thank you.

I am online using this other computer.

I have just looked up my Dell 3700 using the Service Tag at Dell Support, and in the "System configuration for your Vostro 3700" the term "wireless" appears twice:

GVGTD1 WIRELESS : ROW DELL BLUETOOTH 365 CARD
XJ3YJ1 WIRELESS : ROW DELL WIRELESS 1520 (802.1

I can put the drivers on a USB memory stick to transfer them to my Vostro 3700.

Where do I get the drivers that I need?

17 Posts

September 6th, 2015 15:00

I have found six files under the heading Network. Just downloading to my USB memory, and will install on my Vostro 3700.

What then?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2015 16:00

You should be set to connect to the Internet and can then download any other drivers that are still missing.

17 Posts

September 6th, 2015 16:00

I installed three of the six driver files by order of largest first, and Windows required a reboot. I am now connected to my router and my homegroup, and have usual Internet access. Should I install the remaining three driver files?

No Events found!