Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 10:00

Cannot install Windows 7 on my Dell XPS 15z

Hello:

First of all sorry about my English but I'm Spanish. ;-)

I have problems in order to install Windows 7 64 bits  in my Dell XPS 15z. I'm doing the installation from a USB Flash Memory. When I select the option to install a message errors appears:

Can not find a device driver for the CD or DVD drive. If you have any floppies. cd, dvd or usb flash drive that can hold the controller, insert it now

Note: The original message in Spanish is: No se encuentra un controlador de dispositivo para la unidad de cds o dvds. Si cuenta con algun disquet. cd, dvd o unidad flash usb que pueda contener el controlador, insertelo ahora

Anyone can help me?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 7th, 2016 13:00

ADVANCED FORMAT DRIVES REQUIRE F6 DRIVERS.

You have to load mass storage drivers at boot.  This must be done with windows 7 sp1. CHANGING AHCI to ATA will prevent booting from ANY DVD other than external USB DVD Drive.

Other possible workarounds to this issue (dependent on notebook hardware configurations):

• Toggle AHCI/IDE/Compatibility mode before installation of Windows 7 by selecting the option in system BIOS. This causes the default Microsoft driver to load which supports Advanced Format.
  • Toggle the RAID mode in System BIOS while installing the Operating system. RAID Mode can be enabled after the installation of the Intel Driver.
  • Copy the Installation CD to a bootable USB drive – using Microsoft’s CD/USB tool or literature widely available on the web. Change the file in the installation source with the Intel iRST driver ver 9.6.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218571en?language=en_US

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 7th, 2016 13:00

As you have a laptop, best to post this in the Laptop Forum here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/default.aspx

Bev

2 Posts

September 8th, 2016 13:00

Hello again, but you think i might change any configuration here?

look at the picture on the link

s17.postimg.io/.../dell_xps_15z_bios_2_advanced.jpg

No Events found!