Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2014 17:00

Cd Drive not turning on anymore Dell inspiron 1525

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I've had it since 2008, and a few months ago my cd driver just stopped working. It wouldn't open, but the light would come on. I opened it manually and tried loading the disc, but it wouldn't scan the cd. I finally restored it to factory settings, because I think it had some kind of virus and I couldn't fix it but now the Cd drive light doesn't even come on when I press the button. I'm not sure if it's fixable, but I just wondered if anyone could give me some insight or tell me how to fix it?? I know it's an old computer and it might just be because of that but anyway, thank you guys!!!

Autumn

615 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 17:00

Hi Aleming,

Since you've restored factory image to your 1525 and the internal CD drive still malfunctions my first suspicion would be CD drive itself. HOWEVER...just to be sure, run the pre-boot system assessment (PSA) by tapping the F12 key during startup and select diagnostics. run all tests. if there's a problem with the CD drive it will likely show up...but not always. HERE IS THE LINK to the service manual so you can remove and re-seat the CD drive. After that run the PSA again. If still malfunctioning, laptop internal CD/DVD RW combo drives are less than $20 almost anywhere. Newegg.com, Amazon, eBay etc etc...Best Buy will sell you one but it won't likely be under $20. Maybe even check Wal-Mart. If this answer was helpful please remember to hit the YES button and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact.

3 Posts

March 4th, 2014 10:00

Thank you! I just ordered another one, it wasn't expensive. I think maybe a piece on the inside of it got broken or knocked loose or something. Its ok, it's been through a lot, its probably time to replace it anyway. But I appreciate your insight! Blessings!

3 Posts

March 4th, 2014 10:00

Thank you! I just ordered another one. I think something got broken internally, it's been through quite a bit. It was probably time to order another one anyway. Appreciate the insight! Blessings to you! :)

Autumn

No Events found!