Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2013 16:00

Certifications Needed To Become Computer Repair Technician

I am interested in becoming a basic computer repair technician. I would like to know what are the first 2 certifications that one would need to become a basic computer repair technician? Also where could I go online to get some training in becoming a basic computer repair technician? I would like to have something besides my certifications that would show I am properly trained to repair computers, etc. Any information on this would be very helpful. I appoligize if this was posted in the wrong forum, but I could not figure out where it should be posted.

4.4K Posts

September 8th, 2013 21:00

There is no one thing, but an A+ cert is pretty much a standard for any computer tech. But you'll need some operating system and application knowledge also, so may need to look into MCP from Microsoft.

Experience is what is really needed. Work for free if you have to.

Most places will want some type of certification with a minimum of two years experience.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 9th, 2013 05:00

The other thing to consider (and perhaps focus on) is that it's the software side of things (OS and applications) where technicians have a future.

The vast majority of systems sold today are now priced so low that major repairs don't make much sense after the warranty expires, and most major manufacturers handle warranty repairs themselves. 

Essentially all notebooks priced under $1,000 are throwaways in case of a major component failure - and now that many are being built with soldered-in RAM, CPUs, and glued-in batteries, even what might formerly be considered a "minor" component failure will lead to replacement rather than repair.

1 Message

February 7th, 2015 12:00

There's tons of stuff all over the place.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2015 04:00

If you want to be a computer repair technician so go for any hardware repairing course. Just go any recommended institute that provide short term course. And that certification provided by institute is enough for job. But advise that you should go for laptop repairing course because this course includes all topics of laptop repair as well as computer repair. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 23rd, 2015 11:00

Various Vendors including Dell do have certified Training.

https://techdirect.dell.com/Portal/Download/Dell_TechDirect_FAQ_Customer_Facing.pdf

How much do TechDirect certifications cost?
There are no fees associated with the certification courses required for Technicians and Administrators to dispatch replacement parts.

HOWEVER there are fee's for specific courses

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&s=bsd&cs=04&category_id=4350

Certification must be completed before a Technician or Administrator can request a dispatch.

How do I participate in the labor reimbursement program?
An annual fee of $1,500 is required to participate in the labor reimbursement program. If you are a Third Party Maintainer, a $1,500 fee applies for each customer you enroll. If you would like to enroll, the (1) TechDirect Enrollment form and the (2) Labor Reimbursement Addendum will need to be completed during the enrollment process. Full labor reimbursement details are available at the time of Administrator enrollment. Please contact your Dell representative if you would like further assistance.

No Events found!