Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2017 12:00

Computer Screen turns on/off, touchpad does the same.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on these forums. I have a dell inspiron 5447, and I love it. It looks great, and, for the most part, runs well. However, whenever I move the laptop, or even slightly touch it, whether i move the screen or touch the body of the laptop, the screen glitches on and off, sometimes a few times in quick succession. When this happens, the touchpad also disables itself, and sometimes turns itself back on, but I usually have to go in to mouse settings and disable the mousepad and reenable it for it to work. I am thinking I need to send it in to be repaired, but I am not sure what the problem could be, or how much it may cost. I am also a college student that needs a laptop, so I cannot be without one for a long time. 

Thank you for your help.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 18:00

By the way, windows 10 is on the system? Does the problem occur only on battery power or AC adapter?

Also, the computer is brand new? You know if  there's warranty on the system?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 18:00

:emotion-2:

Please run the diagnostic tool to check the hardware on the system by following steps below.

1. Power off the system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it.  After quick tests, click on Hard drive, and select Thorough Test Mode

September 5th, 2017 16:00

yes windows 10 is installed. I haven't really noticed if it happens on both battery or plugged in. The computer is not new, it is about 3 years old now, so unfortunately there is no warranty. I will use your suggestions from your first post when I go back home and have the laptop we are speaking of.  I will get back to you

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 6th, 2017 06:00

We're looking forward to your update.

September 6th, 2017 17:00

so, there were no problems in the diagnostic test. the issue does happen while the pc is plugged in, however, it seems to be less, but then again usually when i am using it on ac power it sits atop a desk or table, so it is moved less frequently. If it were just the screen flicker and not the touchpad disabling, i would think it is just a loose ribbon or something from the lcd into the motherboard. but why would this make the mouse disable itself randomly?

September 8th, 2017 11:00

Any ideas?

No Events found!