Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2017 19:00

Computer acting up and not working.

Today my computer was acting just fine. I was about to do some work. I went outside for about 10 minutes to take out trash and clean up dog poop. I was going in when I saw from my window that my computer had like restarted. I sat down and logged in again and realized my computer was lagging and not really responding. I tried to open Skype but 10 minutes would pass and nothing. Steam was verifying and checking updates but wouldn't go away. I tried to open task manager but it would take about 5 minutes and wouldn't really respond.I tried to restart and shut down but it wouldn't respond. I tried control alt delete but it would take long to process and even longer when I tried to turn it off. I decided to shut it down and leave it for a while. About maybe 2 hours later I turned it on and it showed a 1990 type of textured screen. It said support assist on top left and initializing storage in center. After a little bit it said hard drive not installed and product name, system BIOS, service tag, and ePSA. I click continue and it says it is trying to find problem. It just stops then the screen goes black and it shuts down. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!?!?! Help please. My computer is a Dell inspiron 15 1300 series.

2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 05:00

Hi EDGARCHEDGAR,

What is the exact system model? What is the current OS installed on the system?

Restart the system and press f2 key on startup to enter BIOS and check if the HDD is detected.

Disconnect the adapter and battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to release any static power. Then try connecting with the adapter only / battery only.

If the HDD is not detected in BIOS and in epsa - http://dell.to/1n3X2po  - enter the service tag and download the service manual and reseat the HDD and check.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

If the system powers off automatically while in diags or while in BIOS, then it could be a hardware issue.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 12th, 2017 04:00

Start with the Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup.  It sounds like your hard drive may either be failing or has failed.

February 12th, 2017 11:00

So it is diagnosing but after that the screen just goes dark but it is still on.

February 12th, 2017 11:00

Then it repeats the process.

2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 12:00

Hi EDGARCHEDGAR,

You would need to be more descriptive in your response. 

Perhaps, if you could shoot a video and upload on YouTube and share a link, this might help.

Does the display stay on when the diagnostics are running? 

Kindly review my previous post and respond in detail, so we could help.

February 12th, 2017 13:00

February 12th, 2017 14:00

How do I check if HDD is detected

2K Posts

February 12th, 2017 14:00

Hi EDGARCHEDGAR.

Thank you for the video.

So, we see that you power on the system and it asks for the admin password and once you enter, it goes to automatic recovery and diagnosing PC and goes in a loop.

Restart the system and press f2 key on startup to enter BIOS and check if the HDD is detected.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

This will help isolate if the issue is hardware or OS related.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

February 14th, 2017 05:00

Hi EDGARCHEDGAR,

Restart the system and press f2 on startup to enter BIOS. The HDD info should be listed under System Info tab as Primary Hard Drive.

February 14th, 2017 09:00

My HDD wasbt working so I'm getting a new one already. Thanks for the help

2K Posts

February 15th, 2017 03:00

Hi EDGARCHEDGAR13,

Thank you for the update.

Glad to hear you managed to isolate the source of the issue.

If you have any imp data on the HDD, you could get an external HDD caddy from a local store and connect the HDD as an external drive and recover any possible data.

If you do not have the OS media to install the OS, then download the recovery OS image here - http://dell.to/1JsMeJg - enter the service tag and it will show up if it is available for your system.

No Events found!