Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

17 Posts

December 30th, 2007 19:00

Computer overheating error code M1004

Hi all,

My Inspiron 1150 keeps overheating.  I can't run a virus scan or watch a movie without the fan going crazy and then the system shutting down.  The error code (M1004) says that the temperature got too high and the system shut down automatically and that I should check to make sure nothing is blocking the fans.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a good amount of dust in there...

Is this something that I can do on my own (and if yes, where can I find instructions) or should I take it to someone who knows what they're doing? 

Thanks,

M

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2007 19:00

The simple way to start is to give the fan intake (bottom of the system) a couple of good blasts with electronic duster or compressed air.

3 Posts

May 29th, 2008 17:00

I am having same issue -- Overheating and computer shuts down with error code M1004.     Did you find a solution?

17 Posts

June 6th, 2008 02:00

I haven't had a chance to try the blast of air yet.  I think that could be part of it, but isn't everything.  I've heard that this is a problem with Inspirons.  I plan to try the compressed air first before I pursue it further.  Have you tried the compressed air?  Did it help? 

3 Posts

June 6th, 2008 11:00

I did not use compresed air.     I actually opened up the fan -- its accessible from under the keyboard and there was a ton of dust that was matted down on the cooling fins (looked like the lint screen in the dryer).    I cleaned it out and all works well again.

17 Posts

June 8th, 2008 15:00

Did that help?  I'd like to do the same but am nervous about taking my computer apart.  Maybe I need to get over that! Which part exactly did you take off?  Was it the whole bottom panel?  

Thanks! 

17 Posts

June 8th, 2008 15:00

I'm sorry! and embarassed!!! I replied before reading your post carefully! 

How do you get under the keyboard without breaking anything? 

3 Posts

June 8th, 2008 19:00

carefully....   do not be afraid, just keep track of all the little screws.    If your machine is like mine was -- there was not much to lose...   It was out of warrantee and as long as you don't force anyting, you wont break it.

I actually first started by taking off all the screws on the bottom -- any you had to take out the battery and one other thing from the side to get to a couple of the screws.    Laptop still would not come apart so a guy in my office told nme I had to take off the keybord to open it up.   Just lift of the little plastic strip that has the on/off button -- theres a little place on the right hand side to pry it up and then it just snaps off.   just be slow and carefull and dont force anything.    seemed to help if i had the screen tilted far back.   Once that is off, you can see the 3 or 4 screws that hold it down.    the keyboard has a flat set of wires that connect it to the unit -- you can just pull up on the connection to remove it completely or just swing it out of the way.   Now you see a metal sheild with a screw in the center -- it was that screw that was preventing me from opening up the unit.  remove this and you will be able to see the fan/cooling unit.    3 more little screws on the actual fan.    now you can see all the lint inside.    A vacuum would be good -- i did not have one handy so just used a toothpick to loosen up the mat of dust and took it out just like cleaning the lint screen on your dryer.    then put it all back together.

I'm not sure if you can just take off the keyboard to get to the fan -- i'd try that first and only take off all the bottom screws (i think there was a couple ont the sides too) if keyboard alone dos not do it for you.   

just be patient.    good luck.

No Events found!