Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2013 10:00

Computer slowing down, need new HDD?

Hi,

My XPS 15 L501x has been considerably slowing down in the last few months, taking about 10 minutes to startup. I checked on different forums and it seems the problem is the HDD. I downloaded some disk checkup utility and my HDD went over the temperature threshold (45 degrees) many times and has 3 faulty sectors. I want to resolve the problem before the HDD breaks down.

I also did the dell diagnostic test (the Hard Drive Test), and it found nothing, but it didn't analyze the HDD itself, but only it's reading/writing capacity. Is there another Dell test that will acknowledge that the HDD has physical problems?

I'm still under the Complete Care warranty and I've been trying to write to a Dell representative so that I can send a screenshot of the check up utility that I used, but when I enter my service tag to send an email, it doesn't recognize it, even though it recognized for all the other steps prior to "send an email".

So here's the screenshot.

Is that problem under warrantee or should I wait for the HDD to break down for it to apply for the warranty (which I won't).

1.5K Posts

July 16th, 2013 11:00

Hi muflerman,

It seems to me that you ran the online Dell diagnostics on the HDD. I would suggest you to run in built hardware diagnostics on the system for decisive results, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

If the above tests don’t produce any error, you may run Dell 32-bit diagnostics. Please follow the steps below:

• Run the diagnostics by following the steps above.
  • Tap to launch 32 bit Diagnostics when prompted to run remaining memory tests.
  • Dell Diagnostics main menu will appear, choose ‘Custom Test’
  • Click <+> sign besides 'Hard Drive'.
  • Highlight 'SATA Disk'
  • Click 'Run Test'.
  • For any problem encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem
Please share the operating system installed.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you.

No Events found!