Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2017 20:00

Constant "unplugged/plugged device into audio jack"

Hi all,

I have had my Dell Inspiron laptop for about 4 years now. The problem started this summer, but I haven't tried to resolve it until now. Randomly while I am working on my computer, in the bottom right hand corner a notification pops up that will say "You just plugged a device into the audio jack" and then a few seconds later it will say "You just unplugged a device into the audio jack" even when I am not inserting anything into the audio jack. This will go on constantly, honestly for 30 minutes at a time and then will randomly stop and start up again out of nowhere. It comes from the Realtek HD audio manager. It is very annoying because if I try to listen to music from the speakers, it will constantly think I am putting headphones in and the sound will cut out for a few seconds then come back on. The only way to resolve it is to actually put in headphones and listen through my headphones. 

I need to have this fixed because I am starting to do skype interviews and when this happens, the person cannot hear what I am saying and my voice cuts in and out. 

Please someone help me fix this problem, I am desperate!

Thanks, 

Lee

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 5th, 2017 05:00

Dell Inspiron

Hello. When audio problems occur, the first step is usually to download install a fresh copy of the audio driver from your support page. (Can't give a link because you did not name your model and operating system.) If the fresh copy is the same version as the currently installed driver, you might have to first remove the current driver files.

If the fresh driver installation does not fix the problem then one can test the driver by switching to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager.
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall.
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop.
When the laptop boots up, it will look for Realtek files. If none found then it will install the native driver. If an earlier version of a Realtek driver had been downloaded then its files could still be in the laptop and Windows would install that version of the Realtek, not the native driver. So after step 5, go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until "Realtek" no longer appears under Sound...Controllers. If you see "High Definition Audio Device" that is the native driver, although in Win10 it can have a different name.

If you have the same symptoms when using the native driver, then there is a good chance that hardware failure has occurred. If the plug-sensing circuit fails then Windows will think there is a plug in the jack even when there is none. Details of that issue in the Headphone Jack FAQ.

No Events found!